Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP boot.ini (Windows XP)

After a bad crash, caused by interferrence between two non-MS programs I believe, I get the message "Invalid Boot.Ini file" when I start the computer. It starts and runs, but I can't find out how to correct this problem. I still have gotten the blue screen with white message, that does not tell me enough to figure out what is going on. I have lots of hard disk space, fast processor, loads of memory, but don't know what is happening. Yes, I did install the latest MS updates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP boot.ini (Windows XP)

The "Boot.Ini" is a hidden file that is used to control dual booting. Are you dual booting if so what OS's? Also you might attach a copy or paste it into a reply. It is a HIDDEN file in the "root" folder of the C drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

No, I am not dual booting. I was using GoBack by Roxio but it seemed to be defective. It had worked at a pretty low level and I suspect that this may have generated something like a Boot.Ini file. Boot.Ini and Bootcfg seem to be related to Windows NT but I was not aware that they were in XP. I will need to find out what is going on. As far as copying it, I will have to find it first. I will get back as soon as I unhide it.

CBS

Lounger
    Thanks

I booted, using a Windows 98SE startup disk and can find no boot.ini file, even using /ah to discover hidden files using Dos. I wouldn't worry about this except that this indicates something loose inside the program. Also, I did get some blue screen again but again, no specific indicators. I will look inside the Registry to see if I can find reference to Boot.ini.

CBS

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are to "Run msconfig" you will find a "Boot.ini" tab if this files in the root folder of the c drive. You will be able to see what is in this file but not be able to cut and paste here.
    You will not find (or should not) any reference to it in the "Registry" because it is read at boot up FIRST before Windows starts, which is when the Registry is used.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, the file is not there. Now I have to find where the reference is coming from. I assume that whatever is causing the message is where I have to do some editing. It must be a TSR so I will just have to go through the startup files to find it. I did find reference to it in the Registry as part of the Symantec speed disk predefined system references. Wierd but I will get that out.

CBS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The reference is coming from your hard drive's boot sector. BOOT.INI contains all the information needed to start Windows in a certain mode - such as VGA, or if you had been dual-booting where to find the other operating system.

If you boot with the Windows XP CD and run the repair process, it should re-create the BOOT.INI file, which is required for normal operation. How your system could boot without it in fact is quite the mystery to me. At any rate, make sure when booting with the XP disc, you select "inspect boot sector" as part of the repair process.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I worked and my thanks. Learned something new today. FYI when the computer indicated an invalid boot.ini, it then said it was booting from C:windows, so there seems to be enough information for it to do that from windows. My thanks for the information.

CBS