New Lounger
    Thanks

Query Results (A97 SR2)

I am new at this so this may range from simple to impossible. I have a tabbed form that I use to enter data into a table. I need a query that will accept data fields like Law School and Graduation Date and present the record/records using the form I created. Do I have to use the input fields to find the record and then create a table from that record? I want to use the input data to reduce the table records to one if input data is unique or however many records meet the criteria and then view these record fields using my form. I have never done this before so I hope I am asking the question properly. I have not found any examples of this in my search.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Results (A97 SR2)

Sorry, but I'm confused by the question, and I can't figure out whether you're tyring to build an entry form or something to retrieve and display existing records.

You say you've created a form, but what is the datasource for the form? A query, a table, or what? I don't know what you mean about creating a table from the record. Records are simply rowsets from a table or query. You would normally base the form on one of those and bind the form's controls to individual fields in the datasource. Are you trying to do something else?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I really didn't know how to ask the question.

I do need something to retrieve existing records from a table and display all the information from the record in the form. Should I use a Parameter query? If I query "John Smith" how do I bind the individual fields from the table record to the form's controls?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you ever built a bound form in Access? If not, then you need to get yourself one of the beginning books that explain the process, such as the Microsoft Access Step-by-Step book from Microsoft Press. You bind the controls to the table fields, not the other way around, and you normally do it when you build the form. You can also use the form wizard to create a basic form with bound controls and then change the look and layout afterward.

If you know how to build a bound form, then that's what you do. You aren't changing the fields the controls are bound to, only changing which records are retrieved from the table, and you can certainly do that with a parameter query, among other methods.
    Charlotte