New Lounger
    Thanks

Resolving Duplicates for Composite PK (2k SR-1)

I'm trying to create a composite primary key. Originally, I wanted to set 3 fields as a composite PK, but there are duplicates. So I want to create a 4th field so that the composite PK would be comprised of 4 fields.

I want the 4th field to be a "counter" field that counts the number of duplicates for the composite of the first 3 fields.

The default value would be 1. If there are duplicates, the 2nd occurence would equal 2, etc. I can't use an Autonumber because there are over 300,000 records, so I get an error message. (I can't describe this very well and the data format doesn't paste well--please see the attached xls file.)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resolving Duplicates for Composite PK (2k SR-1)

Why not just use a single autonumber field as your primary key? You could then define a non-unique index on the table comprised of those 3 other fields.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you saying you get an error message when trying to use an autonumber? What error message? 300,000 is nowhere near the limit for autonumbers (you can have a tad over 4 billion autonumbers if you don't mind them wrapping and going negative, or a tad over 2 billion if you want them to stay positive).

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is the error message I get when I try to save an Autonumber as a PK:

File sharing lock count exceeded. Increase MaxLocksPerFile registry entry.

I also cannot use the autonumber ID because I plan to either append all records onto a single table or use a union query to join the tables (to be decided). A composite PK of the 4 fields would be the ideal solution to uniquely identify each record easily.

Thanks again in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to do it the way you envision is going to cause you more problems because as you add records, that count field is going to be wrong, and you do not change primary keys unless you want a mess on your hands.

As for the error message, The one you quoted relates to replication (MSKB Q198633) and you haven't mentioned that so far. If you are working with replication, you need to make that clear, since autonumbers behave differently in a replicated database in order to minimize possible record conflicts. If you are using replication and trying to create a composite key to get around possible duplicates entered in different locations, your problem is much bigger than the question asked.
    Charlotte