New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing grid lines (Word 2000 on Windows 2000)

I've been given the task of reproducing in Word a printed form that has a .25 inch background grid. Since I'm not the best in the world at originating forms, I did it in table form and made drawing grid visible on the page. I didn't realize the drawing grid won't print. On screen I can make it perfect - it just won't print!. First, is there any way to get the grid to print, and second, if not, how can I get this quarter inch grid (blue lines at that) in the background? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Joan, in Huntsville

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing grid lines (Word 2000 on Windows 2000)

Do you mean you made a table with cells .25 inch wide and high? Ugh. How are you going to get any text in?

The grid lines you can select in the Table menu are just for screen display, as you found out the hard way.

To get grid lines that print, click somewhere in the table
    Select Format/Borders and Shading...
    Select the first tab (Borders)
    Select a style, for instance All or Grid
    Select a color
    Make sure the Apply To box says Table
    Click OK

New Lounger
    Thanks

No. I made the table correctly, but when you look under the drawing tools at "Grid" there is an option for show grid on screen. This put it in the background of the page the table was on. Like I said, it looked beautiful on the screen, but when I tried to print I discovered it was invisible! I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for a quick reply!

Joan, in Huntsville

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want the 0.25" grid as a background then try this...
    <UL><LI>Create a table with the correct number of rows and columns for your grid
    <LI>Select the whole table
    <LI>Table properties > Row > Height > 0.25 in > Exactly
    <LI>Table properties > Column > Width > 0.25 in
    <LI>Format > Borders and Shading (Set the appropriate colour and thickness of border)
    <LI>Cut the table to the paste buffer
    <LI>Edit > Paste Special > Picture
    <LI>Select the picture
    <LI>Format > Picture > Layout > Behind Text
    <LI>You can now move this grid behind your table, or any other text[/list]StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Stuart (and congratulations on being a new MVP). I'll try this at the office this morning. It doesn't work with my Word 97 at home. I did get our artist to do this for me in Illustrator and turn it into a .jpg. I then inserted it into the header of my document. But your answer to putting a graphic behind the text in the document will help me with a few other things ahead of me in setting up this multipage form!

Joan, in Huntsville

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joan,

There was a thread a number of months ago about those grid lines showing up when NOT wanted but it didn't seem consistent. The secret had to do with the zoom level you were at. So if you use those grid lines, you may not even always see them. But from what I understand, those grid lines are only for working with drawing objects on the screen so you don't have to worry about precise placement (snap options put objects in proper place). I don't think I ever heard anything about them printing.

Fred