3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Location of addins

Office 2000 on NT4

Is there any way of changing the location of the addins directory. Currently it is in my profile and with a couple of new offerings from Helen it is now so big the writeback of my profile to the server gets timed out.

I would like to set up a directory C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedAddIns and use this instead of the one in the profile.

Is there a registry key I can alter or something? I found one that looked likely in HKEY_Current_UserSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0CommonG eneral The key was called AddIns and its value was "AddIns". I changed the value but Access took no notice.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Location of addins

If you find one, let me know. This version of Access is much more profile-specific than previous versions, and it seems to want the add-ins and even custom Excel templates in the profile. Yuck![img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If anyone else can help Charlotte and I would both be very grateful.

Please. [img]/w3timages/icons/beep.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/beep.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/beep.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/beep.gif[/img]
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Waddayknow? Ive found an answer.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xteq.com>X-Teq</A> is a super windows tweaker which has a setting for changing the location of things addressed through Yourprofileapplication data

So you can change the location of this and then copy your addins forlder and the other bits of stuff across. I have only tested it on the Access AddIns directory but it should work for other things.

An inspection of the registry after doing this shows that the following keys have been changed to the new address. However a lot of keys still point to the old address and many point to addresses in my old profile which has been deleted from the machine.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTTypeLib{E1B5AC78-C0D9-11D4-AA44-00105A7A86C7}1.00win32
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerShell Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerUser Shell Folders

Now I have to see where everything is pointed and see what I can delete from the old tree.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How safe is it for NT?
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used it before (on NT4) and had no problems. There are some horrible things it can do but it warns you what those are.

However I have not done any real testing across the network, etc. as I am only a user. It is NOT suitable for use by people who do not understand what it is doing.

If it really messes things up I can always ask the IT People to wipe my machine and reinstall everything and wipe my profile and recreate it.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

They're very good to me about things like that.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On the other hand ...

I have now messed up my Office Shortcut bar. The W icon gives me a message asking what application I want to open Winword.exe with!!!

The instructions do warn you that if you do the 'Open with' for all files fix it will do this, but they also say if you undo the fix it will be OK.

More advice when I have gone through the process again.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I stopped using the Office Shortcut bar several versions ago because I found it more annoying than useful. Good luck getting things straightened out. I think I'll just leave well enough alone.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I got it sorted.

If the PTB would let us use active desktop I wouldn't need the office shortcut bar.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]I don't like Active Desktop either, so I always skip it or turn it off.
    Charlotte