Thread: Upgrade (2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade (2000)

We are in the early stages of a major migration to Windows 2000 and Office 2000. My internal customers have hundreds of shared Access databases on numerous servers throughout the company that make it difficult to coordinate the upgrade from Office 97 to Office 2000.

I suggested that we install Office 2000 on our base image then replace Access 2000 with Access 97 before we deploy the new image. In six months, when we are finished with the initial upgrade, we could then push Access 2000 to every desktop using SMS.

I tested this proposed solution briefly, and it appeared to work fine. I am by no means an expert on MS Access, so does this sound like a viable solution? It seems like such an easy solution. Am I missing something that my little two-hour test failed to reveal?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade (2000)

It's usually not a good idea to install an older version of an Office program over a newer version. You might install Access 97 first, then 2000 (in a different location) and leave both in the image.

Having both might also be useful in converting databases - all 97 databases will have to be converted and checked. Some things are likely to be broken initially. The default data model in Access 2000 is ADO, while the data model in Access 97 is DAO, and there are subtle differences.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. That was my initial suggestion, but the folks in charge were concerned about licensing. Would installing two versions of Access constitute a breech of the licensing agreement?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you upgrade, you are allowed to also have earlier versions on your machine under your licensing agreement.
    Charlotte