Lounger
    Thanks

Split Database Security (Access 2000/xp)

I have a split database, I ran the security wizard on the front end, and have users set-up and everything works fine. I want to keep people from going directly into the backend though... what's the best way to go about this? I tried setting a database password on the "data" database, but then when I run the front end, I get "invalid password." Do I have to run the security wizard on the back end too? I don't want to maintain two lists of users, and would prefer the back end works off the same user list as the front end. Or if there is a way to code the "data" database's password into vb, so it automatically opens when the user logs into the front end?
    All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Split Database Security (Access 2000/xp)

I have my backends secured the same way as my frontends. No, you don't need to maintain two lists of users; just use the same workgroup file (which implies the same set of users). Now, if you don't want them directly changing the backend data at all even though they are able to via the front-end, then things will be more complicated - you'll need to use Run With Owner Permission queries in your front end as mentioned in other threads here.