Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinking Document Index Entries (Office NT/Word 97)

Am I missing the obvious? Recently I created an automatic index in Word for the first time, using a concordance file I built from the document glossary and the terms in the TOC. This worked fairly well, giving me 10 pages of index for my 200-page document. However, when I click on the page references in the index, nothing happens. I assumed a Word index would contain a list of hyperlinks like a table of contents does, since each entry has an associated bookmark. (Otherwise Word couldn't find it to put the page number in the index.) I can see the bookmarks if I turn on Show/Hide, so why doesn't Word use them to take the user from the index to the page references? I have found no mention of index hyperlink in the online Help or in the Using Word 97 manual. Is there any reasonably feasible way to have the index link the way the TOC does?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinking Document Index Entries (Office NT/Word 97)

The hyperlink function in a TOC is created using the h switch in the TOC field. The Index field doesn't seem to have a corresponding way to "turn on" hyperlinks.

To do this, you'd probably need to build the index using a macro. That would be possible, but it would be a pretty sizable undertaking. I can't think of a quick way to get that linking functionality.

Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlinking Document Index Entries (Office NT

> Am I missing the obvious?

No, you're not. Word doesn't do what you want.

I wrote two utilities :

"TrailBlazer" which generates hyperlinks for Selected words, Interesting words, Index entries and so on

"Indexer" which generates Indexes by determining what words are interesting, also brings up leader phrases, KWIC phrases and builds several indexes at once.

The two utilities can be combined. Trailblazer can feed of ther Index entries {XE} created by the Indexer.

Word is sadly immature in providing tools to make use of what has already been typed in.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:
    I went to your site to take a look at Trailblazer & Indexer, but all I could find is a description of them. Are they not available for download?

Thanks,

Lounger
    Thanks

I got an idea for a macro, but it should be done professionally. Here it is:

Everybody complains that Word cannot create hyperlinked indexes. So why not create a macro that:
    1 Saves the document
    2 creates a copy if the index as text and hides or deletes the original
    3 Creates bookmarks on the PAGE fields with the page number as bookmark name (2-3 would be X2_3)
    4 Looks for numbers with the Index N style
    5 Replaces an index page number with a hyperlinked reference to the appropriate bookmark
    6 When you save the document after running the macro it either does not save with the same name or asks you if you want to save with the index field or the referenced index and responds accordingly.

I could not imagine how a reference to the actual XE field could be created, so I settled for a page reference. Maybe you can think of something else.