3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

subtracting a value (Access97)

I have a form, DataForm, that I use display the data in an underlying form. The table is called data. There are 2 field in this table Work area and Jobs available. Jobs available is a number field. What I would like to do is when the user of the form selects a work area they click a button that will subtract 1 from the total of the jobs available field. An ideas? Thanks..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: subtracting a value (Access97)

Note: I'm using a foreign language version of Access, so my wording may be slightly off.

Put a command button on the form. Make sure it is selected.
    In the Properties window, select the Other tab.
    In the box labeled Name, enter a name, for instance cmdSubtract.
    Next, select the Events tab.
    Click in the box labeled OnClick. A dropdown arrow and a small button with three dots ... should appear on the right hand side.
    Click on the small button and select Program code builder.
    You're taken to a code window, with the skeleton of the OnClick procedure ready for you to use:

Private Sub cmdSubtract_Click()

End Sub

In the empty line between Private Sub ... and End Sub, hit the Tab key to indent and then type

[Jobs available] = [Jobs available] - 1

The brackets around the field name are necessary because there is a space in the name.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks that does work on the form but how can I have it subtract 1 from the value of the underlying table? This only subtracts the value when the form is open...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is subtracting the value from the underlying table, or at least it is if [jobsavailable] on your form is bound to the table field of that name. If that isn't working for you, I suspect there's more to your question that has been exposed so far.
    Charlotte