Lounger
    Thanks

Print Group Header Separate from Detail (2000)

Does anyone know how set the paper source for a group header to be different from the detail records for a report? Every time a group header prints it should print from the top tray, whereas the detail records following this header should come from the bottom tray.

I have searched the MSFT site, and found and tested a way to get the first page of a report to draw from a different paper source than the rest of the report, but this goes a step further.
    Thank you for any help you can give.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Group Header Separate from Detail (2000)

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Is this a situation where you want the group header to print on a different color of paper or something? You would have an easier time printing it as two separate reports in that case. You can force a page break before and after a group header, but I've never tried to make it pull from a different tray. Maybe someone else can help.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for responding. This is exactly what they need to do. I am able to create a loop to generate multiple reports. Unfortunately, they need to be able to monitor the number of pages of the total report due to limitation in the paper tray size. Currently, they preview the entire report, print the first 500 to one printer, the next 500 to the next printer, etc. Thank you again.

Thanks

So are you saying that if a report exceeds 500 pages you receive an error message and printing stops? Or are you trying to print when nobody is available to reload the paper?

You indicate you can loop through the reports and monitor the number of pages in a report. Why not count the pages per report and then send the report to the appropriate printer when the total pages in consecutive reports reaches 500?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Lounger
    Thanks

I can loop through so that I can create a report for each grouping but have not looked to count all the pages in the reports. To be honest, I do not know how I would approach this. As far as what happens after the paper tray is empty, it simply requests more paper. I am trying to print when no one is available.