New Lounger
    Thanks

Networking Internet Delay

I have 2 networked computers running with a cross-over cable and Win 98/Win XP. One of those PCs running Win 98 has a USB ADSL modem. If I disable the NIC in the Device Manager of the WIn 98 PC connected to the internet, there are no internet response problems whatsoever. If I have the NIC enabled on the internet PC, regardless of whether or not the other Win XP PC is running and thus the network is operational, then although the internet connection response is fine say four times out of five, every so often the internet response will be completely zero for up to 30 seconds and then it comes back fine. This can occur with any web site rather than specific ones. The network is running with NetBios over TCP/IP. As I said, this never happens when the network card is disabled. Any ideas please?

Thanks,
    Rob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking Internet Delay

I have only run into similar two times. One was because of a firewall running. Turned it off and everything was speedy. The second was with a ME machine. After months of fussing a complete reinstall without critical updates solved the problem. When Explorer updates were added the same problem returned. I tried IE 5.5 and 6. If I could get rid of IE and use something else it might keep the problem away. The problem is it is not my PC but a person I work with and they are not into "change".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking Internet Delay

Thanks Kent for your comments. I am using ZoneAlarm Pro and switching it off does not make any diference. I am using IE6 and it is not possible to backtrack thanks to MS, but you may well be right on this point as I have all the IE patches installed. However, it I keep the PC standalone and do not sign on to my network - just one other PC, the problem also goes away completely!

Rob