2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File/Drive Sharing

When I try to invoke the File & Printer Sharing for M/Soft Networks with the Control Panel/Networks/Add/Service/Add function, I get a window saying "System policies do not allow adding the selected device"

When I open Explorer and Click on Drive C Properties I only see tabs for,

General, Tools and Norton (I have Norton System Works 2001 installed)

I have tried removing Norton SW2001 and then completely re installing Win98 SE without achieving any success

Can you please tell me what has happened to the Sharing Facility and how I can recover it

Thanking you in advance

Max Rieper

Thanks

Re: File/Drive Sharing

Do you log in to a Windows NT or Windows 2000 server? If so, the system policies are probably downloaded from the server and you will need to confront, I mean confer with, your network administrator. If not, hmmm...

Thanks

Re: File/Drive Sharing - Got it!

I believe you have a value with the following name stored in your registry for Windows networking policies: "NoFileSharing"

Fire up regedit (usual cautions apply), and drill down to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionPoliciesNetwork]

Click on the "NoFileSharing" value in the right pane, delete it, close regedit, and try your network properties dialog. You now should have a File and print sharing button, and be able to add this service.

(Incidentally, I had to dig up a WINDOWS.ADM file from an NT server to find the specific location of this value.)

I hope this does it for you, and thanks for leading me to the very interesting world of Windows policies.