2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 Archiving Failure

I am having a problem trying to get the Archiving function of Outlook2000 to work

I select the File/Archive menu item and then with only the "Personal Folders" selected and ticking "Archive this folder and all its sub-folders", I set the "Archive items older than" parameter for the cut-off date that I desire, I tick "Include items with "Do not AutoArchive" ckecked" and set the Archiving File as C:Te mparchive.pst

Subsequently when I click ok I see that the Archiving function commences by the small Icon in the lower RH corner rotating, however it soon stops and when I look in the Folders to see if the contents before the selected cut-off date have been removed, I find they are still all in place *&^%%

The Archive function creates the "archive.pst file in C:Temp OK, but its size is very small and obviously doesn't have all the "archived" info transfer to it

Can anyone tell me if there is something that I am missing to do to set-up why the Archive function

Awaiting assistance
    Max Rieper
    mrieper@bigpond.net.au

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 Archiving Failure

are you having them deleted after archiving? also, archive date is based on the last modifed, not the recieved date. if you open a message it's modified and it won't archive.

personally, i prefer to manually archive (drag to a new pst) the message i want moved, instead of trusting outlook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MaryJ

I don't exactly understand what you are telling me I'm sorry to say

What do you mean by "are you having them deleted after archiving" ?

I thought that part of the process of "archiving" would be that all the emails in the "outlook.pst" file that were older than the date that I stipulated in my "archive" options would automatically be "deleted" from the outlook.pst file and stored albeit in a compressed form in the "archive.pst" file

Isn't that the case, or do I have to manually "select" all these "archived" emails in their various folders and manually "delete" them after the "archive" function has run its course ?

Also I don't understand your comment "archive date is based on the last modifed, not the recieved date. if you open a message it's modified and it won't archive."

MJ received is spelt with an "ei" not an "ie" !!!

Many, many years ago my teacher taught us to say -

"i" before "e", except after "c" !!

I say -

"i" before "e", except after "c", sometimes !!

Anyway, back to reality -

Does that mean that for e.g. I open an email dated 1.1.98 on 1.1.2001 to check something about it, then this email is automatically re-dated 1.1.2001 as far as the "archiving" function is concerned and it wont be "archived" until I put emails dated before 1.1.2001 out to "archive" ?

The other thing that worries me about the existing "archiving" function that I've set up, is that although I have a huge outlook.pst file, (over 400MBs), and I have several years of emails in the various folders, and I see the "archiving" icon working in the lower RH corner of the scren when I either invoke the "archive" function manually or automatically, and see the various folders being "archived", when I look at the size of archive.pst, it's only ca. 40MBs

I can't belive that all those emails which must be ca. 200MBs at least, are compressed into ca. 40MBs

I suppose that I should try a "restore" to see whether or not all the old emails, etc are really in archive.pst !!
    But I'm worried as to what a mess it might create !!

Finally I thank you for your trouble in answering my plea for help

Cheers n Beers (I hope !)
    Max Rieper

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm attempting to archive a large (c.500mb) Outlook 2000 file on Exchange 5.5. I set the folders to archive, and the archived .pst seems to be created OK. However, the archived data isn't moved or deleted from the original exchange mailbox. The thought of trawling manually through the thirty-odd folders to weed out the old emails which remain daunts me.

My problem seems to resemble the original one in this thread a year ago (though not quite), but I can't find an identical one that's already been pitched/answered in the Lounge . I'd sure appreciate any clues to an answer, and you'll be my friend for weeks to come!

I've RTFM'd, but this year-old thread is the only one which matches my problem.