2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Advanced Find/Mail Merge (2000)

I have a client who has a Category called Board Members. These contacts could be in either her Contacts folder or a Contacts subfolder called Staff. (Since Staff was in a Public folder I copied that folder to her personal Contacts). When I try and find the Board Members it only looks at her primary Contacts folder - not the subfolder called Staff. So, I tried using the Advanced Find features - telling Outlook to look at all items instead of just the main Contacts folder. I get the correct result.

Problem is how do I go from the results of an Advanced Find to Mail Merge (keeping in mind when you use the Advanced Find feature the results don't appear in the same way as a normal Find which allows you to do a Mail Merge).

Help!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Advanced Find/Mail Merge (2000)

What you need to do is make the subfolder an email address folder ... I'll reply in two steps with screen shots showing each of the steps ... afterwards your regular addressing routine should work okay.

The first step is to select the subfolder in the Folder List within Outlook, and either right-click and choose Properties or select File-Folder-Properties, then in the dialog box that pops up choose the Outlook Address Book tab and then check the Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book checkbox.

For example I have a folder called "Old Contacts" as a subfolder of by Contacts folder ... here's a screen shot of doing what I said above.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Advanced Find/Mail Merge (2000)

... then the next step is to tell Outlook to use this Outlook email address book (folder) to address messages. You need to select Tools-Services, then select the Addressing tab, then select the Add button, find the sub-folder from the drop-down list and then press the Add key (then you can choose to re-position the order in which Outlook searches from address books if you want the subfolder searched first for example).

The following shows a screen shot of my starting to add the "Old Contacts" sub-folder on my machine.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images