Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Confessions of a VB bigot (C/C++/C#)

I spent almost $1800 last year on books (and that's after the typical 30%+ discount at booksamillion, bookpool, etc.).

However, I have no books that show how to use the C++ or C# interfaces.

It should be simple, but I do not know how to take an existing .c or .cpp file and get it into VS .Net so that I can compile and execute.

I guess I could boot to my other Win 2000 partition and create a MSFT C++ V 6 project, then boot to my most recent system and let VS .Net import that project, but that seems the long way around.

I guess that I'll have to buy some C++ and C# books.
    But I just paid off my mortgage on 31 May 2002, so I'm gonna wait til my piggy bank fills up.

Any pointers to a Help topic or MSDN article that covers this subject?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Confessions of a VB bigot (C/C++/C#)

Hi Howard,

I'm a total stranger to the C++ world and mostly a stranger to the C# world, but I did find a help topic that looks like it might get you in the right direction.

If you have VS.NET installed, paste this link in the URL Combo in the VS interface: <pre>ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vcedit/html/vclrfvisualcnetfrequentlyaskedquestions.htm</pre>

<soapbox> By the way, not to change the subject too drastically, but I generally HATE trying to find the helpfiles I need in VS.NET!! If I'm looking for a simple reference for an ADO method, I have to dig through all of the .NET topics just to find the traditional ADO topics...what a headache! And that's AFTER filtering the helpfiles just to "Internet Development"..... Anyway </soapbox>

HTH

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Confessions of a VB bigot (C/C++/C#)

Thanx.

I agree that reliance on Help is not a cost effective way to learn.

A book usually presents things in an organized manner. Finding info in Help or MSDN or ... is just not cost effective.

I did manage to find Help topics on:

Copying Items
    Adding EXisting Items to a Project

And I realized that the same problem exists with VB .Net.

I just need to find more appropriate books.
    The IDE in VS .Net is quite nice, but I find that I clobber a Userform if I try renaming the Userform.

I need to find a book that covers the environment, in addition to the language books I usually get.

I did find a topic "Common Tasks in Visual Basic and Visual C#" in the VS .Net documentation. Following the myriad of liks there MIGHT help, but it does not thelp enough.

For example, I managed to create a new VB .Net project and moved some code into the project (still could not figure out how to reference the imported .bas module, which got added under the solution, rather than with the .vb components). I guess that I'll stop off at the local Barnes & Noble and Borders to see what books are appropriate.

I did manage to create a working Userform, but was puzzled as ALL of the Userform's controls got blown away when I tried to rename the Userform.

Also could not figure out how to directly run a code module. I must have chosen the wrong project type as I had to use a Userform to execute the code.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Confessions

> I spent almost $1800 last year on books
    http://www.books24x7.com at $459/year would be cheaper! Lots of books there on C/C# dotnet.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>