Thread: Address Books

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Address Books

[img]/w3timages/icons/baby.gif[/img]Is there no way to have a common address data base for Word/Works/Office/Mail? If I go through the trouble of making a DB for one program the next wont accept it. If it's possible what program/syntax must be used?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address Books

I saw this question a couple of days ago and let it go, thinking you'd get a response from someone (so I, the lazy one, would not have to check this out). First, it's important to know whether you are at work on an Exchange Server or at home? What email program are you using?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm just a homebody: WME, IE5.5, Word 97. I have WORKS if that makes any difference. No, on OFFICE and EXCEL.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay. There are three "address books", basically. The Personal Address Book (*.pab) and the Windows Address Book. However, you may be getting "contacts" from Outlook. Can you tell me exactly what you get when you click on the address book icon from Works? Word? Email? (IE5x is not an email program, are you using Outlook or Outlook Express, you may be accessing your email by clicking on the envelope in IE5x)?

If you're unsure what program you're in, just hit Help-About. If you're unsure which address book, do the same.

Let me know.

You said "No" on Office and Excel, but in your original question, you wanted the same address book in "Office"?? I don't understand.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just want to share dbs from Works to Word or reverse. "Create an Address Book" in Works leads me to creating a file xxx.wdb. "Get Data/Create" in Word creates a file xxx.doc. Neither Works or Word will accept the others format, nor can I save Works as yyy.doc or Word as yyy.wdb. If this is so MSoft was a tad clumsy...?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure, Lad. Of course, MS wasn't nice. Clumsy? I don't think so. I'd say it was intentional. Otherwise, everyone would be using Works except the "main" people. If you've got just one file you're dealing with, I can probably get it into Word for you. Have you tried opening it directly from Word (make sure you change files of type to *.* all files)? Word simply creates a table with columns as a data source. Any Word file set up this way can be the data, just use open data source instead of create.