New Lounger
    Thanks

Display Files Details

Win 98 SE
    Does anyone know if it is possible to set/patch/whatever Windows 98 so that files are always displayed in the "Details" view in all file dialogue windows such as "Open" "Save As" etc.
    I would like the change to be global across all applications.
    Grateful for any help in this, I've put up with it for years but it still bugs me.

Thanks Colin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display Files Details

Hi Colin ... Go into Windows Explorer and click on "View". Click on the "Details" option. Now go to "View">"Folder Options". Click on the "View" tab in folder options and right near the top you will see a Folder with the following text beside it ... "You can make all your folders look the same" and right below that. a button named "Like current folder". Click that and then click "Apply" at bottom and OK. Theoretically, that should make them all open with "Details" showing. It has been my experience that you need to do that a few times in different programs before it really does open all of them in "Details" mode. Good Luck!!

Howard

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Howard
    I've done that today and it seems to work just fine with folders in Explorer but not in a global sense even in Microsoft apps like Notepad or Paint. You always have to click the "Details icon" in nearly every "File Open" or "Save As" dialogue box from the various applications.
    I was sort of hoping there may be a setting in the registry or at a low level that could be tweaked.
    Maybe I ask the impossible as each app may have the default display format coded as part of the application but I don't know enough about windows at that level.
    Thanks for your response
    Cheers Colin

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Other than programs like Windows Explorer, which is designed for managing files rather than their content, most other programs are designed only to offer the default option of working with files whose format they recognise. Some can be modified through option or preference settings but most can't, though some of these can also be modifed by editing registry settings.

Ultimately, though, there's no 'global' setting that can be used to configure all programs to do what you want.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Macropod
    I sort of thought that was where we were headed, but now I know.
    Thanks for taking the time to confirm it for me.
    Cheers
    Col..