3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error on opening/closing Word (Word 97 SR-2)

Approximately one week ago, I started getting the following error box when opening or closing Word.

Header: Microsoft Visual Basic

This PC is running MS2000 for an OS and Word 97 SR-2. I have so far stumped our IS tech support and would love to get some help from you guys. I am easiest to reach via private e-mail, but will check back here on the forum when I can.

Thanks in advance.

D.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error on opening/closing Word (Word 97 SR-2)

Have a look at the thread starting at <!post=post 939,939>post 939<!/post>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I looked at the posts and they describe the same message, but reference a different module. So far we have tried uninstalling Office and reinstalling, but to no avail. The IT help desk guys are still stumped.

Douglas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Although the thread I referred to is about a different module, the suggestions in that thread should apply to your case too. The "error in hidden module" message indicates that there is a problem with an add-in.

To check this, start Word as follows (the paths mentioned are the default installation paths. If you have a customized installation, your IT people should know the correct paths):

Click the Start button of Windows, and select Run...
    In the box, type

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWinword.exe" /a

and click Run. The /a option makes Word start without loading add-ins.

If the problem persists, look at this site, where a lot of what I describe here comes from.

If Word starts OK now, the problem is in your Normal.dot or in a file loaded automatically. Exit Word, and in Windows Explorer navigate to

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeWrdStart

Select all files (if any) in this folder and move them to a different location.

Now start Word the way you usually do.
    <UL><LI>If the problem still occurs, exit Word, and move the files back to the WrdStart folder. The problem is probably in Normal.dot. Navigate to

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates

Move Normal.dot to another location

Word should now start normally. If not, exit Word and move Normal.dot back. You haven't found what's wrong, unfortunately.

<LI>If the problem didn't occur after moving all files out of the WrdStart folder, one of these files is the culprit. Try moving the files back one by one, starting and exiting Word each time. This should help you pinpoint the culprit.[/list]HTH, Hans

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

In reading over other posts relating to the "compile error" message, I went to the Word startup folder and started moving startup templates one at a time to see if I could find one that caused my problem. I tried starting Word with the /a switch and it started and closed just fine.

I found one "dot" file that when taken out of the startup folder, resolved the issue. The culprit is called "dictation.dot" and is dated 7/12/2001. I don't know what purpose it serves. Right now, I have it stashed in a subdirectory and I will see if I can run Word without any more problems.

Douglas