New Lounger
    Thanks

corrupt database issues (Access 97 sr-2)

I'm having a heck of a time. I have a corrupt table in a database (improperly used and shut down by the user community caused corruptions) that I am trying to fix. I have data from a backed up version that needs to be appended to this database. I've been appending by ID # in "batches"...

"between 11800 and 11899" let's say. It works fine. Several bunches of these work fine.
    I do the next segment (skipping over the corrupted record) and I get the following message (not changing anything but the ID/record number:

Front page can't append all the records in the query
    Front page set 0 fields to Null due to a type conversion failure and it didn't add 24 records (out of 26) to the table due to key violations, 0 records due to lock violations, and 0 records due to validation rule violations.

Do you want to run the query anyway?

I don't understand how it could work for everything but the last few, when all I'm changing is the criteria.

I've also gotten a duplicate ID (I tried to recreate the error to post here, but cannot now).

Anyone have any ideas? I hope this isn't too basic to post here...

Thanks in advance
    Debra

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: corrupt database issues (Access 97 sr-2)

If you're using autonumbers as id's, the current value of the autonumber could have become screwed up by the corruption (I've had cases in a corrupted database where the autonumber "backed up" leading to an attempt to store duplicated primary keys). Since you're having problems with key violations, that may be the problem.

If you are using autonumbers as primary keys, try appending the records without including the autonumber field, so that new values get assigned.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am in fact, using the autonumbers as ID's... it was the only way I could add these records in groups because all the other data within the record is unique, and then I might as well retype the whole thing (ack).

I wouldn't know how else to do it, as to append by the date entered (which is one of the fields) have corrupted records in it, and I'm trying to avoid bringing those into the new table.

Also, is there a way that you can delete a corrputed record? I can't even do a compact and repair on this database because of the corruptions in this table.

Thanks in advance,
    Debra

New Lounger
    Thanks

Douglas...

Ok, I studied exactly what you said and eliminated the ID portion on the "append to" line and this actually did it. No mistakes, so something was goofed up in the ID numbers.

Next question (and please correct me if I'm incorrect in putting them all in one thread):

Can you delete a corrupted record? Some of them have hieroglyphics in the midst of a field, some have #ERROR all the way across the record, and others have #DELETE.

I appreciate anyone's help. I'm a very new access person, given several badly written databases to "fix".
    Debra

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The #Delete means the record has been deleted and when the screen is refreshed, it will no longer display. As far as I know, it does not relate to a corruption.

I do not delete a corrupted record and choose to go through a process similar to the one you described (append non-corrupted records to new table). Call me cautious.

Someone else may have another method.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I hope the autonumber field wasn't a foreign key in another table....you will have lost the relationship to the records in that table.