Star Lounger
    Thanks

Software to track staff schedules? ('97)

Does anyone know of a commercial product, hopefully not tooooo expensive, which tracks staff schedules? Ideally it would allow for different length shifts (4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 hours), different units, different tasks (administrative days vs staff nurse days), different employee types, etc. If it could display the data by individual, by day and month for a unit, by day and month for employee type, by day and month for the whole - that would be nice. If could also give a visual/graphic as opposed to numeric view of staffing adequacy vs a pre-defined numeric value per unit - that would be even better.

It also would need to allow data entry and report generation from multiple manager computers on the LAN, and read-only report view from department/ unit computers for staff.

I appreciate any information which might head me in the right direction. Thanks -

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Software to track staff schedules? ('97)

Hi again -
    Are you looking for a complete solution, or are you thinking of developing some of it yourself? It it's the canned package, you might look at VSS Pro. I have no experience with it, but the reviews and the description make it sound like a possibility, and it does appear to be prohibitively expensive. They also have another product that is more group oriented. Perhaps someone else in the lounge has had experience with one or both. I suspect they are Access (or at least Jet) based products, though they don't say that in the description.

On the other hand, if you want to have lots of sleepless nights and the satisfaction of doing it yourself (?) then you might look at DBI Technologies Schedule 4.0 Active X component package that lets you roll your own. I also have a friend who uses another product that he built a scheduling/dispatching system with that I'll try to come up with.

Have fun - scheduling can be a real can of worms, but if you improve the sitution you'll probably get a hero badge or something equally rewarding.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

In another lifetime I'd welcome the challenge of building it myself, but not this year. I'm just too overwhelmed. However, I promised I'd look around to see if something worthwhile exists already, particularly something which could be tailored to our needs and not static.
    Anyone who knows these programs, or others, who can comment about their pros and cons - please do so. Particularly whether minimally computer literate folk can navigate through the screens. I will really appreciate it.
    Thanks for your suggestions. As always - you are generous with your knowledge, all of you. I'll pull down the demos and play when I have a few minutes.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I finally found the note I had written the info on a scheduling package on that my friend uses - and he thinks it's great. He uses it to schedule installation and maintenance work for his staff on security system techs. The product is called Schedule-EX Pro, and their website is http://www.software-2020.com. So this is an alternative to the other product I located, and at least one person likes it.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are too kind! Thanks. I'll look this one up too.
    Judy

Lounger
    Thanks

I have a similar need and did look at the software suggested.... which would do what I want it to... except it wouldn't interface cleanly with a multi-user Access/VB app. Or will it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The VSS Pro, which seems initially most suited to the job, can be purchased as a single user or multi-user application. I suspect it is the same application but you pay for the extra users. Depending upon how they define that, it could be either the number of users at any time, or the number at the same time (which is far fewer).
    Schedule 2020 is also an Access db and should allow multi-users. The DBI product seems to be a set of separate Access components from which one can build a unique application. So all 3 should allow multi-users
    I've sent an email to Schedule 2020 to see if they have any users from large facilities where shifts vary the way they do in hospitals. So far I have had no response. But the VSS program talks about nurses and units and shifts so I assume it can handle my needs.

I have some more looking to do. But I thank all for their help.
    Judy