Star Lounger
    Thanks

Auto Replacement (2000)

I do have some entries that I want to replace automatically in Word when users type specific words. You can think it as the same as autocorrect enry. For example, a user can type "ex", then the word "example" will show up. I do have the entries, I don't want to store them in the autocorrect entry database(not too sure if database is the right word to use). I want to know if I can do it another way, for example create a dictionary of object or attach something invisible to users in the autocorrect entry where the entries will not show up. I want to know what is the best way to do that. Can I create an instance of the autocorrect entry and link it to the original. I want to know what is the best way to solve this problem. I know the autocorrect entry has a limit in term of size.

Thanks

Re: Auto Replacement (2000)

Is it possible to add a second .acl file? That would be convenient, I don't see a quick way to do that.

Is there any way to get the entries into the attached template? That would be less good, since they would have to be rich text, but if it were possible (I'm doubtful), that would be a reasonable workaround.

Do you want to re-create the functionality yourself? There was a keyboard monitoring thread either on this board or VB, but it seems to involve a lot of overhead.

How often would this template be used, and how will users interact with it? You could swap your own .acl file for the default .acl file for the duration that the template is open; I haven't tested the idea, but it appears that the file would is not "locked" during the Word session (perhaps because it needs to be available to all Office applications). However, if the user needed to enter free-form text into your document, or wanted to work on other documents during that time, it would be inconvenient. It might be possible to switch the files every time the active document changes away from or to your document.

You could add all of the user's entries (or as many as will fit) into your .acl file when the template starts up, and then switch the files, but this might take a while; I haven't tested this one either.

That's all that springs to mind...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to add a second .acl file. I don

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a couple of thoughts & unfortunately, I won't be able to follow up since I'll be gone for at least a week.

1. I don't think *.acl files are limited to 32K. I have several on my standalone Win98SE, although I think most are installed by default for different languages (don't know how that happened). All of my *.acl files are over 32K. The one that's active for English is C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftOfficeMSO1033.acl & is 40K. I've noticed no slow down.

2. On a network, I believe that the acl file is under a <usename>.acl. Can you create an .acl file under a specific username? Trouble is, if everyone tries to sign on under the same username....

3. Offhand, I don't think you can create an automatic replacement that:
    a. Doesn't show up under autocorrect entries.
    b. Is specific to a single template (or even a specific application. AutoCorrect entries are used by several Office applications.

4. What I've done at times when I have some repetative text is to create AutoCorrect entries while in a document, write them down, & delete them when I'm done. While it's beyond my skills, perhaps a macro could be devised to do this. Two problems I see are, first, they will show up in the list. Secondly, suppose you have more than one document open at a time. If you use AutoOpen & AutoNew to create the AutoCorrect entries & AutoClose to delete them, closing any document removes the entries for the open documents.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Thanks

See this thread: Monitoring Typing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

the 32k I mentioned is not 32k of byte, it is 32,000 entry