New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 Rules (2000)

Is it possible to set up a rule which automatically moves an email to the customers folder, after it has been sent? At he moment I am doing it manually at the end of the week.

Sergio

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 Rules (2000)

Yes ... short answer.

Long answer: one of the actions that the rules wizard can take is to process mail after it has been sent. In the following directions I leave out the steps in which you're should click Next in the various dialog boxes.

The first step in the Rules Wizard (under Tools-Rules Wizard) is to create a New rule, then the second step is to define the type of rule --- this is what you really need ... choose the type of rule that is Check messages after sending.

The next few steps are to decide what to do: choose the condition you want to check --- in your case the one that seems to apply is sent to people or distribution list. After checking that condition you then click in the lower portion of the dialog box (the part that's labeled: Rule description) on the underlined people or distribution list to indicate a customers name from your contact list (or other such address). After selecting which customer then you need to decide the action to take ... in the next dialog box choose move a copy to the specified folder, then again click on specified in the lower portion of the dialog box to indicate the folder you want the message copied to --- then in the same dialog box click the action called stop processing more rules (if you don't want the Rules Wizard to process the message otherwise).

The next dialog box prompts for any exceptions to the rule --- which you can probably skip (but could use for certain cases).

Next ... finish.

Now the "sad" story --- I've never used a rule like this so I'm not entirely sure how it works. I'm guessing that it will COPY the message to the folder you've chosen but will still keep a copy in your Sent Items folder (depending upon your settings in Tools-Options-E-mail Options --- which by default is set to Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder) ... so you might need to experiment around a bit to get this to work the way you want.

Two other comments ... did you know that if you choose View/Options (or click the Options button) when composing a new message (or replying and/or forwarding a message) that you can set the folder to store the message in after sending it on a case by case basis (i.e., without worrying about the Rules Wizard) --- at the end of this reply I've included a screen shot of that dialog box.

Finally, one of the options you can set in Tools/Options/E-mail Options/Advanced E-mail Options is one called In folders other than the Inbox, save replies with the original message which means if you've stored a message from a customer in their own folder (by maybe using the Rules Wizard to store incoming messages appropriately) then when you reply the sent copy is already stored where you want it.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, yes thats helpful. Its a pitty that Microsoft don't give you the option within rules to 'move' the email to another folder. 'Copy' is the only option and still requires a manual delete afterwards. Maybe someone else might have an idea about this.

Sergio

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't tried this ... but you might try creating the rule in question ... then also create a rule that is a catchall --- after sending save copy in "Sent Folders" (with both rules having Stop Processing More Rules as their last action) ... move this latter rule to the bottom of the Rules list

... THEN under Tools-Options-E-mail Options --- change from the default of Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder to do not save (uncheck the box).

Then experiment around to make sure this works ... i.e., items sent to customers that are in your rules get stored to their proper folders ... and everything else gets stored in the Sent Items folder.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You could also try the code from http://www.slipstick.com repeated in this post. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you start creating the rule from within the Organise pane (or create a rule that works on arrival in the sent items folder rather than on sending) it moves the message.

New Lounger
    Thanks

mokely
    Thanks for your suggestion but have not been able to make it work.

I am sending 30 to 40 emails per day to different clients and have to go through "sent folders " at the end of the week and file them to the clients folder. Whereas, if it were possible to have a rule that filed them automatically to the clients folder just AFTER they had been sent this would save a lot of work. Rules will copy a sent message but you still have to go through the sent folders and delete. Organise will send them to the folder as well, but sends the incoming mail to the folder before they are read.

Sergio

Thanks

I think you need a VBA program. Call it "FridayCleanup". The program would examine every item in the Sent items folder (or a subset based on date) and move them to the proper client folder. This would take some time to code, but doesn't seem difficult to do. (However, having just spent 3 hours writing a program for a different problem, I'm not going to volunteer!)

The question is: how will you map from the Recipient's name or address to the proper client folder? or will you instead look at a Category or other field to determine the client?