rfj100

email fwd over a LAN

I've got 2 pc's linked up as a peer lan (both with Outlook 2000 installed) - one pc has access to the internet via a dial-up connection.

Is there any way I can forward incoming mail received by outlook on the machine connected to the internet- to the machine that is not connected.

Tx

Rob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: email fwd over a LAN

not really, unless oyu set up an local mail server.

are you using corp or internet only mode? if corp, you can use the wgpo that shipped with win95 and 98. see help > about for your mode.

rfj100

Thanks Mary. I'm using internet only but can easily switch to corporate. But what is wgpo please ?

Robin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

ms mail workgroup post office. included on the install of win3.1, 95. shipped on cd of win98. is not y2k compliant or win2k certified and is no longer included on cds and Outlook2002 will not have MS Mail support. It works just fine on win2k and ME according to reports in the MS newsgroups.

you only need the two wgpo*.* files placed in the system directory. on win98 cd, they are in wms.exe, use winzip to open the exe and get just those two out.

Rdavis

I'm in a small office also, where we have 5 or 6 pcs running Win98SE in a peer-to-peer network, and with Office 97 and Outlook 98 installed on each machine.

What caused me to register/logon/search is WOW issue 6.14 which seemed to say there was a way to set up "internal" e-mail without having to get an exchange server, and which could eliminate each user having to compose the email in Outlook, click send, wait for their modem to dial in to our web hosts mail server, and finally send the e-mail to the user's computer who is just 15 feet away. (We would still need the ISP to send "external" e-mail over the net, though.)

And if there was a way to also share Calendars (or at a minimum be able to read others), that would be a bonus! Can you point me to any resources? Is there a cookbook approach somewhere out there I can follow or somewhere/someone else I can contact?

Thanks,
    Rob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Older versions of the Win OSs included the wgpo aka ms mail po. It is not Y2K compliant and is no longer included with new OSs. It will not be supported with Outlook2002 either.

There are several pop3/proxy servers you can use to replace the post office for LAN mail, but at this time i'm not aware of anything that will do calendar sharing except for exchange server. At least nothing that works seamlessly with outlook. There are asp calendars that can be used, if you have an IIS server. (included with win2k). For that matter, you could use a shared database for contacts.

The only pop3 server i can think of off the top of me head is proxy+. I don't know the web address, it's a CZ domain (czech). It's affordable for small workgroups andcan run on any machine, pick the less used/under used workstation to avoid overtaxing the resources.

Thanks

Have a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mdaemon.deerfield.com/>MDaemon</A> - I can strongly recommend it.
    Highly configurable and flexible - you can start off with a small licence and upgrade as and when. Free months trial, I believe.
    Well above standard support, too.