4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memo fields in Access/MSDE (Access 2000)

One hears of problems that Access has with Memo fields. Does an MSDE backend handle Memo fields better?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memo fields in Access/MSDE (Access 2000)

The equivalent in MSDE/SQL Server is a TEXT field. They are essentially the same as the Access memo field but corruption doesn't seem to be the issue in SQL Server that it is in Access.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Funny you should mention that - when I upsized an app recently to SQL 7 I had a memo field in one of the tables. The upsize made it text data type in the SQL table. But then I couldn't edit any of the records that had a value in that field. I eventually ended up changing the data type to varchar and limited the length to 1000. Works fine now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'm a little puzzled by that - we edit text SQL fields in an Access front-end with regularity, and haven't encountered any problems. There are issues however with running queries, sorting and other functions where they will give problems. Were you by chance trying to sort on the text field?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, just a thought. Can one correctly sort on these 'long' text fields in MSDE environment rather than the Access truncation first behaviour?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How did the conversion of the back end go? Any problems?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I was puzzled too. No, not sorting on this field as it has upward of 700 characters in some records. It is a design problem that if I had to do over I would do very differently. It's basically a comments field that the users use to record when an exception to the hr rules of leave taking occur. e.g. vacation time is used for a sick day when an employee no longer has sick time. Now, I would put it in a subform with each occurence a separate record. But I don't see a way of converting the existing data to that format without great pain and possible data loss. Sorry, I'm rambling. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not smoothly. There were many problems. I had to abandon the upsize wizard after many tries. It kept refusing to upsize certain tables. I finally used the data import tools in SQL and that worked better. I still had to do a lot of tweaking to the tables. Then we had problems backing up and restoring the db. And I haven't even looked at trying to optimize the queries yet, though the users say they don't notice any performance loss. If you're considering an upgrade give yourself at least two weeks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info.

ps. I've never been enamoured of the Access wizards for most things, they give a start but usually only that.