Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XP Packaging

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

XP Packaging

Does anyone know how XP is going to be sold? Will it have the "Registration Wizard?" Will it be sold by subscription or by traditional lisence?
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Packaging

yes on activation.

rumor is subscription only (as published in an ezine earlier this week), too soon to know for sure.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's too bad. I guess I have done my last Windows upgrade.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

because of activation or subscription?

activation doesn't bother me too much, it's not been a problem with word. it's more of a user issue, as in users don't understand how it works and get upset without knowing the facts.

subscription will depend totally on cost. if i can get it for much less than the current cost and renew yearly for a small fee, it might save me money in the long run as i usually upgrade to the new OSs as they are released.

The big issue will be what happens when the OSs are retired (as win95 has been). Will the ability to renew cease? Will they allow you to continue using it with no yearly fee?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The answer to both is yes. I particularly do not like the Registration Wizard. I remember the horrors of Copy Protected software and will never again have it on one of my computers. If Microsoft insists on going the same route that killed Lotus, then I will stand at the dock and wave a fond farewell to them. I will continue to use my current versions as long as they meet my needs, but will then find something else.

I feel similarly about subscription software. I can just see me needing to use my computer for someething urgent at just the time when the subscription runs out and hackers take Microsoft's network down for two weeks or more. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Legare Coleman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Almost ALL of the software firms are going to a required registration. So if you are so bound NOT to register your software you will be staying where you are. These are requiring a very min of information to register. One is going to have get use to this. But MOST people do not have a problem with this unless they are NOT using the software in the proper manner.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I do register the software I own. What I do object to is being required to do so. First, I dislike being required to provide personal information before being allowed to use software I have paid for. However, if it is just requiring me to register, the is not nearly as objectionable as what MS is doing. They are implementing full scale copy protection. If the Registration Wizard decides that I have copied the software because of some change I have made to my hardware, it will stop the software from working, and I have to bow down to MS again to get reregistered, and that could get to be a major problem it their network is down because the hackers have hit again, not to mention that the normal performance on MS's sites is a major problem even when the hackers don't have control. Of course, it will also be a business opportunity for someone to break this protection scheme just like they always did for Lotus copy protection.
    Legare Coleman

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Afaik, it's not the software registration that's going to be the problem with XP, but the hardware. It locks into the system you have when you install, and changing your parts means re-registering with MS, which will cost every time you do it. You will also not be allowed in any way to install it on more than one system, and it sees the slightest hardware change as a new system. If that doesn't kill it before it gets off the ground, the usual bugs probably will.
    XP is for the convenience of MS, and not for the user. Shout loudly from the rooftops: leave well alone.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is Microsoft's take on the registration issue:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/Feb01/02-02ProdActPR.asp>Microsoft Anti-Piracy Solutions Extended to Upcoming Versions of Office, Windows and Visio Products Worldwide</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/Feb01/ProdActFS.asp>Office 2000 Registration Wizard

Super Moderator
    Thanks

From the FAQ page listed in another reply.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Q: How does Microsoft identify the computer

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'd suggest waiting until you see how it works. I'm on the betas in question and i've been testing out different scenarios. A lot of the anti-activation in the media is just hype. They haven't fully tested it to know exactly what causes problems and what doesn't.

I can guarentee a minor hardware change will not cause problems. A new mobo will, but that's not minor and that's not common place. I tested all of this extensively with Office2000 and know the tricks to avoid problems. i'm hoping these same tricks will work in the XPs too.

Main 'trick' is to call in the registration and write down the code the CSR gives you. Try it after a hardware change, worst that will happen is it doesn't work and you'll need to call back in. Chances are, it'll work unless you got a new mobo.

So far the ones complaining the most are ones who don't understand or follow the EULA. One machine, one copy (save for office, desktop/laptop allowed, based on book rule). This is what MS is trying to enforce and from the looks of it, it's going to work.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

And I am sure that Lotus marketing came up with all the same propaganda on Copy Protection.

The bottom line is that Microsoft is going to punish those of us who are honest and buy the software we use and do absolutely nothing to stop the thieves (maybe slow them down for a day or two).
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When you register, do they require that you gie them your name? That is personal information!
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I will never know how "well" it works as I will never again allow copy protected software on one of my PCs, and I will never buy software on subscription.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no, the CRSs may ask but it's only to be polite and sound frindly, not rude. (standard for any call center)

if you don't give them your name, they will still give you the number.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast