Thread: Win98 se

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win98 se

I have recently noticed a new file that loads at startup - PTSNOOP.EXE - it is located in the Windows directory. What does this file do? Is it a MS file or one that has been placed in that directory?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Re: Win98 se

You may wish to check this (possible) virus definition at F-Secure.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thank you for the info will clean file

shihalud

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just be careful. Most of the time PTSnoop is NOT something evil:

This background program is used by PC Tel modems. It is essential to the good functioning of those modems.

More info:
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this famous ptsnoop.exe file. The ptsnoop.exe file is installed with certain modems. The file watches the COM ports for activity and allocates system resources to open the port.

It is a Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) program that uses roughly 1 MB of resources to run. The problem here is that Norton Antivirus misdiagnoses this file to have a Trojan virus in it. This has caused many people to become frightened of this file, as if it were the Black Plague itself. It isn't a virus. The file is safe, and if you deleted it, you can reinstall the drivers that came with your modem to restore it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quite true, we have several flavors running, and it seems that most of the machines with Conexant modems are for sure using it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have always had the PTSnoop running in the background when I connect by phone line (for text calls also). Out of curiosity, because of this question, I stopped this (Ctrl/alt/del/end...) and it caused my machine to freeze. Had to press the power button to turn it off, nothing would work after stopping this.( ctrl/esc and ctrl/alt/del pressed twice did nothing.) Restarted the machine and stopped the PTsnoop again (cont/alt/del/end...) and then , when the machine tried to go to sleep, it would freeze and not respond. Gave an error message about a program not letting Windows start the screen saver. I have NOT tried to stop it again, and it is still working fine. I also have PCTel HSP56 Micromodem. (Original Equiupment). Have updated Anti-Virus and scanned, shows no virus.