Thread: Access (2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Access (2000)

A member of staff has an Access database created in 97, taken into 2000. She is now suffering with a Microsoft "feature" in that sometimes, the first person who accesses the database in the morning has exclusive rights, but other days all users can access it.

Her IT support personnel have advised that it is a feature, but Microsoft haven't given a workaround. Does anyone know of anything that can help her?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access (2000)

What do these users do when they access the database? Do they use design mode to modify forms/reports?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Her IT department probably has only the vaguest idea of how to work with Access themselves, so I wouldn't be too quick to accept their word as final. However, if the situation is as Mark suggested, that several people might try to modify design features when others are in the database, then there is no workaround because that's the way it should always have worked and they finally got it right.

Access 97 allowed you to make design changes to a database while others were in it. Access 2000 and later do not. Period, end of discussion. I had plenty of problems in 97 with making and saving changes and discovering the next day that someone else still had the database open after I exited, so that whatever they had open overwrote my changes when they exited. The last one who saved won.

Access 2000 simply doesn't allow that situation to arise, and I for one, am grateful.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts Charlotte. I have had a word with the lady in question today and found out the following. The personnel with access to the database are nearly all inputters. They delete, create and amend records, also may create new queries - will the creation of new queries (through design view) cause the issue? All the tables are locked (good) and only she goes into the design of reports and/or forms.

I am assuming from what both you and Mark have said, that this is probably what is causing the situation.

Thanks again for your help.

Jackie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>I am assuming from what both you and Mark have said, that this is probably what is causing the situation.<hr>
    Yes - that is definitely the cause of the problem. For that reason alone, most people developing Access 2000 apps have now gone to a split database, and more often then not they put the front-end on the user's workstation. In that situation you can develop on a copy where you have exclusive access, and then deploy it to the users after it has been tested. If you want further advice on splitting the database, there's lots of threads about it in this forum.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had this problem with one where one user kept changing controls to bold. That is a design change! Consequently others were locked out.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia