Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word has insufficient memory... (Word 2002 SP-1)

After a few previews of a 350KB document a user gets the following message when she clicks on preview: "Word has insufficient memory. You will not be able to undo this action once it is completed. Do you wish to continue?" I am able to repeat this behavior on a 256MB XP Pro machine and a 512MB XP Pro machine. Both machines show substantial percentages of physical memory available. Word proceeds to preview the document regardless of whether I click Yes or No. I was able to hang Word once on the 512MB machine when going to Preview and clicking on "no" in the continue dialog.

1) Is this a known behavior problem? I was not able to find anything on MS or Google.

2) What does this message mean? Does it just mean that the ability to undo edits will be curtailed/lost?

3) "Undo"ing a preview does not mean much to me. Am I missing something?

4) Any suggestions on preventing/avoiding this message? It is very disconcerting to the person preparing these documents?

Thanks,

Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Word has insufficient memory... (Word 2002 SP-1)

I think this is related to the amount of memory/resources that Word sets aside for storing 'undo' actions, amongst other things. When things get into this state it's usually a good idea to save your work.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would suspect the undo stack, too. Every time you perform an action, Word adds that action to the undo stack so that you can undo the action. For the first time, in Word 2000, the number of entries in the undo stack is unlimited. Also for the first time, saving does not clear it. If the size of the undo stack is the problem, the quick fix is to save and close the document, then re-open it and continue working. I'm sure you can clear it with a macro, since that's a feature in DocXTools, but I don't know how to do so.

Lee Morgan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It does seem that it is having problems grabbing memory to save undo information. What I don't understand is why this is related to previewing. It only happens when attempting to preview. It seems to need a number of previews earlier on in the session to have the problem. It does not seem to be related to the amount of editing done to the document.

How do you "undo" a preview? What could Word need to remember?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

If you've got cross references of any kind, auto page numbers etc and a whole host of other things using form fields, it may well be that Word has to hold 'undo' information for a page preview because these get updated.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Previewing updates all of the fields in the headers and footers and, if the option is ticked under Tools, Options, Print, will also update all the fields in the body of the document. Depending on the number and nature of the fields, I can imagine this could chew up some memory.

In my own experience, I have only seen that message after several really massive find-and-replace operations. There is a VBA command to dump the Undo buffer, see <!post=Post #21658,21658>Post #21658<!/post>. You could have your user flush the buffer whenever desired with the one-line macro in <!post=Post #62538,62538>Post #62538<!/post>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks all!

Your comments make sense. I hadn't considered Word doing automatic updates in preparation for previewing.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found that disabling the MRU file list fixes the problem. Maybe something to do with cache?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

I'm experiencing the above error message only each time I attempt to print my file.
    What do you mean - how do you disable the MRU file list? as I'll give this ago & see if this works.

regards Diana

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Diana:
    You can disable the MRU by going to Tools/Options/General tab & putting a zero in Recently used files list & clicking OK.
    Cheers,

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

cheers Phil - your a star! Diana