2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot (Office 97)

My computer has bitten the dust! Will have a new one with Win 98 SE. I have copies of vital info including my normal.dot. Does this include entries in autoCorrect, customiztions to the menu bar,etc.? Exactly what will it do to help me in getting WORD back to the way I like it?
    LibbieL

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot (Office 97)

AutoCorrect entries are saved in two places:
    <UL><LI>Entries saved without formatting are saved in a file with extension .acl in the Windows directory.
    <LI>Entries saved with formatting are saved in Normal.dot[/list]Customizations to tool bars are saved in a template, so your "standard" customizations will be in Normal.dot.

The options you set in Tools/Options... are kept in the Windows registry, so unless you exported the relevant registry keys, you'll have to reconstruct them by hand.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot (Office 97)

Any words/abbreviations you've added to Word's spellchecker will usually be held in a file named custom.dic (although it could be something else with a .dic extension if you specified something else). In Office 97, it's usually located in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]