New Lounger
    Thanks

Create ascii report file (access 2000)

I need to create a report which prints to an ascii file. My field titles and detail data do not line up in the file - is there a proper way to create this output? The "bad" output looks like this:

{County}
    SOUTHEAST
    {River}
    FREDERICK SOUND-TR
    {City}
    PETERSBURG
    {Distance}
    This is how I want it to appear:

{County} SOUTHEAST
    {River} FREDERICK SOUND-TR
    {City} PETERSBURG
    {Distance} 2

Looks like (when viewed in hex) that there is a x'0D' after each field title. Now, why would access do that and how do I tell it not to add the extra x'0D' code?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create ascii report file (access 2000)

As has been discussed on this Forum before, exporting Access reports is less than satisfactory. Access does strange things to formatting.

If at all possible, try to export data in the form of tables or queries.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create ascii report file (access 2000)

If you want the data to simply *save* to a text format, you'll have to make some modifications to the report, which may make it pretty ugly in Access. First, use a monotype font like courier new to eliminate the effects of variable spacing. Replace any graphics (lines, etc.) with underscores or equal signs (for double lines). Then, put any labels and data you want to appear on the same line in calculated textboxes. In other words, instead of having, say, a label "{County}" and a textbox that returns the value of the County field, have a single textbox for that line that has something like this as its controlsource:

="{County} " & [County]
    Charlotte