Lounger
    Thanks

Context Menu Oddity

I have recently reinstalled Win98se on a clean harddrive (partition - format - install). Win98se is fully updated & patched as of 6/1/2002. I'm running IE 6 & Office 2000 SR1. The software configuration is standard for me, the reinstall was due to some incompatabilities with Norton SystemWorks 2002.
    Long painful story - no longer using NSW 2002, reverted to updated / patched NSW 2000!

My problem is that my context menus show duplicate entries (ie: 'Scan with Norton AntiVirus' appears twice).
    I install several programs that add a Context Menu entry (these have always behaved well in the past), so my Context Menu has gotten VERY LONG.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on here, and / or tell me how to fix it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Context Menu Oddity

Have you recently removed the "IsShortcut" value from the registry to remove the Shortcut arrows?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I suppose I have - I use Win98 TweakUI.
    I set it up to remove the 'shortcut arrow' from desktop shortcuts.
    If this removes the 'IsShortcut' value, then I'm guilty.
    I've tried telling TweakUI to 'Restore Default Values' in the Explorer tab , then rebooted - no help.
    What's the story on the 'IsShortcut' value?
    Where is it? What does it do? How do I put it back?
    etc. etc.
    I have experience (and no fear) of backing-up & editing the registry. I just need to know what to do.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... that is actually not the same thing. TweakUI does it a different way -- it assigns a "transparent" image to use as the "Icon Overlay". But the TweakUI method ceased to work after the March critical update that replaced shell32.dll. Some users tried to get around this problem by editing the registry and removing the "IsShortcut" value from various Shortcut FileTypes. The problem is, Windows98 apparently does not want you to do this -- if you do, then various errors occur -- such as the duplicate Context Menu items.

However, if you did NOT try to remove the arrows by removing the "IsShortcut" entry, then something else must be responsible... TweakUI alone should not cause this.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

This is a real bummmer, and takes a great deal of effort to come to grips with. The fault seems to be with the assignment of RMenu items to several different species in the Registry, especially as a result of installing 3rd party software.
    As a first measure, open regedit, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and expand the very first entry - should be * (the null file). Save the current entries, then try removing the ones that are duplicated. You may also have to adjust the values of e.g. Folder, Drive or drvfile.
    Eventually just pack the whole thing in and upgrade to XP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I re-read your first item -- are ALL the duplicate Context Menu items from Norton/Symantec? Are they all residuals from changing around the versions of NSW? And, are the duplicate entries present on all File Types?

If so, then the HKCR* key is likely the correct place to work on. However, I believe a surgical strike approach would be far more effective than trial and error. Take a look in HKCR*. The right-click Context Menu items are in two places: shell and shellexContextMenuHandlers. Now, NSW and most 3rd-party program are going to be installing their items in the second place -- the shellexContextMenuHandlers key. I would focus my attention there.

Symantec USUALLY names the keys in an obvious fashion -- so this may be quite easy to fix. If you cannot figure it out, Export the entire "*" key and post the contents here for me to look at.