New Lounger
    Thanks

Quattro Pro - Jurassic Park job needed (WinXP\Excel2002)

Hello everyone - I've not been back to the lounge for a couple of years, but now I've got a problem, so here I am!

I'm trying to rescue some ancient Quattro Pro files from a dead PC belonging to a relative. I have removed the hard drive, and sucessfully copied the files to my current PC (WinXPOfficeXP). The files are in .WB1 format. I know the donor macine was running Win3.1, but I do not know the version of Quattro Pro, though there are hints it may have been QPW5.0, or lower.

The Microsoft Knowledge Base appears to list a coversion filter for Excel 2000 (I run this on my other Win98Office2000 setup) which should work, but once installed it only offers a .WB3 option for QPW7.0.

Does any kind person know how I can unlock the ancient mysteries of these files, using Excel2000 or later, so that I can save them for posterity?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest an another method? I have tried mounting the old HD as the primary drive of my new PC, with the intention of running Win3.1QPW and exporting the files in some intermediate format, but Win3.1 fails after the startup splash due to a "failure of 64_1024.DRV", which is beyond my ability to sort out.

I know someone out there could do this in 5 mins, so if you could tell me how, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quattro Pro - Jurassic Park job needed (WinXP\Excel2002)

You might try mounting the old drive as a secondary drive (e.g., drive D). There's a chance that the old version of QP would run then. Win 3.1 didn't have a registry so most application files and references were in the program directory.

If QP partially starts and fails on a DLL not found, try moving the contents of the QP and Win 3.1 windows directory to a new, dir on you main drive (same drive for both). Kind of brute force but if you combine enough of the original directories, eventually every needed file will be there and QP will run.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried some of that yesterday, when I copied the files, after mounting the drive as a secondary. QPW wouldn't run, and I wimped out (no pun intended) at trying to run it from Win3.1, from within a WinXP environment. I might be misunderstanding, but did you mean I should try to get Win3.1 running on the secondary drive after booting with Win XP? Aren't there laws against that sort of unnatural activity? (sorry, I can't get the smilies to work - probably a java thing).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you try renaming them to .WB3 and importing them to Excel? Renaming works for early Lotus files.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I have had limited success opening up a version of QP in notepad/wordpad. There is a lot of garbage characters, but I could make out general entries. It would depend on the size of the file too. More garbage to sift through. Who know, perhaps you could even try in Excel as a txt document?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John - good idea, and one I think I tried very late last night on my XP setup - no go I'm afraid.

I'm on my Win98excel2000 PC at present, and the QP conversion filter on this one wants a .wq1 file, just to add to the confusion. I followed your suggestion, and again no go. I think I will look at the microsoft site again to check I've got all the relevant filters, then try your idea again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - yes that works, but so much garbage, so little data!

I have a lot of files to convert, and my father has a somewhat artistic approach to spreadsheet formatting (he appears to have been using it as an unstructured database), so there is little chance or restoring anything like the original layout. I might be able to use this method, but I hope someone comes up with a better idea, or I'll get no sleep for a few weeks.

Thanks anyway for your efforts.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

-John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear John,

It's more than a help, it's solved the problem.

Somehow, I had installed the wrong conversion filter - I still blame the MSKB, but then I expect that to be misleading after reading all the "Woody" newsletters.

So the answer was on my installation disk all along.

I, my wife, my children, pets, and patients all thank you for saving my temper and allowing me to return to a useful life.

Thanks also to all who read this, and especially those who contributed ideas. see you next time I get brain failure!

MJD