New Lounger
    Thanks

HUGE Word file (XP) (XP)

Started working in a document with pictures. Yesterday the file was 4 megs. Today making few changes, it went to 23 megs! Just moving stuff around it is now 45 megs!!! Any ideas on how to shrink it?

I am not using fast save, or background saves. I have tried the suggestions of deleting old saves and saving with new name. Tried copying and pasting, tried breaking down the file into 2 files.

I am supposed to email this monster over a 120k line!!!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: HUGE Word file (XP) (XP)

You could try making a copy of the file and deleting pictures one at a time to see if just one or two of them is/are causing the problem. Also, linking to the pictures rather than embedding them would reduce the file size considerably, at the cost of having to distribute the picture files with it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have Versioning turned on (look at File/Versions...), or Revision tracking (look at Tools/Track Changes/Highlight Changes...)? Either of these cause the document size to grow each time you modify something.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't have either of those items on.

I really appreciate your input!!

Sherrie B.

Thanks

If you are double-clicking the pictures or otherwise getting them to open in a kind of MS-Paint-inside-Word arrangement, that could cause the bloating.

Once you have finished editing a picture, select it and press Ctrl+Shift+F9. This will convert it from an embedded MSPaint object to a plain old picture, drastically reducing its size. If you're not sure which pictures are embedded MSPaint objects, press Alt+F9 to toggle field codes to "code" fomat and scroll through the document. If the pictures are gone and you see { EMBED MSPaint }-type fields, I'd guess that's the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't know that is how you can see what format the graphics are in. Got to put that one away for future. (If I can remember the combo!!)

I tried deleting the pictures to see which ones were causing the problems. Then I took them into Paint Shop Pro and resized them. Got the file down from 45 megs to 6 megs!!! Wish I could do that for my waist line that quick!!

Thanks for all your help!!!