3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crystal Reports in VB (VB6)

I wanted to develop an application that incorporates a pre-defined graph. I know Crystal Reports does this and I heard that a license of Crystal Reports comes with Visual Basic. How does this work. Is there like a Crystal object that I drop into a form and then create the report within this object?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crystal Reports in VB (VB6)

You may be better off doing it in Excel, and embedding an Excel chart as an OLE object
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting thought, Geoff. The data I need to get is from an SQL Server. I would rather pursue the Crystal solution first but will keep this idea as a back-up plan.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There does seem to be an option (on my machine at least) of setting the source property of an OLE container to a Crystal report- but I could not (on a very quick try) get it to run the report or to show report results. I suspect I would have to set proerties and parameters the same as if I was running a non-emebdded Crystal report.

I was much more succesful with Excel- and I can use automation to control Excel from VB. I can also write VBA code to aceess any database.

I had an application which did some graphing using Crystal Reports against an Access database. I converted it to an Excel spreadsheet with graphs- using VBA to run queries against the Access database. The responses are far quicker than Crystal Reports, are easier to maintain, and give bettter graphing capabilities.

But then again I am more comfortable with Excel anyway.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.