Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Administration

I am on a 4-computer W2K P2P network. One of the machines acts as the file server. I would like to remotely administer this machine from one of the other ones on the network (it doesn't have a monitor, and it's a pain to hook one up <g>).

Could someone point me in the right direction about how I go about this?

Thanks for your help.

Brett

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remote Administration

Open Computer Management (right click on My Computer and select Manage), and then select Connect to Another Computer on the Action menu. You can perform management on any other machine that way. Is that what your're asking to do?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you--this is half of what I was looking for. The other half is the ability to run programs from my machine as if I were running them from the server. (Simply running them locally causes problems, because the various INI files and registry references don't point to the right places.)

Any other suggestions?

Brett

Brett

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

some programs, like exchange server, have admin utilities, sometimes as MMC snapins. others do not. best bet is a utility like pcanywhere (costs $$$) or <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc>VNC</A>, which is free.

we use KVM switches on all servers but also have VNC installed and 99% of the time, use it. Response is slower so occassionally we do need to use the KVM, but only when we can't avoid it. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] The guys with CE devices use VNC to control the server from the CE.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

BTW - i'll bet the next question is what is a KVM? [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

a KVM is a keyboard, video, mouse switch that lets you hook two or more sytems to one keyboard, video & mouse. push a button or hit a keyboard shortcut and switch to the other desktop. A two system unit costs about $50US, larger units are also available. I would recommend this in addition to VNC, there are times you might want or need direct access and changing cables is a PITA.

We prefer the VNC as we can see the other desktop from within our own desktop and some apps allow us to copy and paste across two (or more) desktops.

VNC is also handy in a classroom, as the instructor can see what the students are doing and can guide them or correct mistakes. (Or freak them out by playing solitare remotely [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We had a lot of trouble with Symantec's PCAnywhere conflicting with two of our server's video cards. We got rid of it and invested in <A target="_blank" HREF=http://http:www.funk.com>Funk Proxy</A> instead. With Funk Proxy we've had no more problems with video conflict and it's faster and smoother than using PCAnywhere. We put Proxy Master on our User Support workstations to centrally administer our servers and support user desktops in our network which use Proxy Host. With Proxy it's just like you're sitting at the server. Very kewl! [img]/w3timages/icons/yep.gif[/img]
    Daisy