Lounger
    Thanks

OEM Win Home XP

Are new computers with OEM Windows Home XP shipped with updates/patches or with the original version sans any subsequent fixes etc? If you wait to buy a new machine, will the Windows XP you get be more stable/reliable? I'm considering a new Dell to replace an ultra reliable but aging 400 PII running W98SE. I'm concerned about the old saw, "if ain't broke don't fix it".

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: OEM Win Home XP

I am using a PII 450 and used it for beta testing. The real question is what other hardware do you have and will it work with XP. I also have 3 other machines which are newer.

As for a new machine, I do NOT use a big name type such as Dell, GateWay, Compaq and etc. I use a local OEM that provides a Windows CD and NOT a 'Restore CD". I have had very good service, I have not had to, but If needed I can reach accross the counter and grab the throat, which can not be done by 800 number, even if they answered the phone.

There are many reasons to upgrade to new hardware and software, we are getting close to the point that our machines will not be fast enough. Depending on what you use your machine for now may be a good time to upgrade hardware and software.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: OEM Win Home XP

Right now if you buy from Dell, Gateway, etc. you'll get the original XP. You'll need to do massive downloads from the Windows Update site. Later in the summer when XP SP-1 is released the major manufacturers will begin distributing that as quickly as possible. Dave makes a good point about 'restore cds'. They suck. You get the manufacturers idea of how to setup a system not yours. If you can wait you'd be better off waiting until XP SP-1 is released. That would bring the added benefit of price decreases over the next several months on processors also. Unless you are doing heavy duty graphics or game playing you most likely don't need the latest, greatest and most expensive CPU. So, as Intel and AMD decrease the prices you can find a real powerhouse PC for less money later in the summer.
    Joe