3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ComboBox, added programatically, won't fill (Word97 (NT))

Hi

I'm developing a set of macros to programatically add controls to a dialog box. (The macros gets a list of what's to be added from a table in a separate Word document.)

Everything works okay, except for combo boxes. I can add the combo box, but when I try to fill it the control doesn't have a method of AddItem. An error message tells me that the control is read only.

For example, if I go:

Set MyControl = Controls("Fields").Add("Forms." & MyArray(5, MyCounter) & ".1")

... "Fields" is the name of a Multipage control, and "MyArray(5, MyCounter)" resolves to "ComboBox" ...

... the combo box gets added, but MyControl doesn't have a method of AddItems, which means I can't fill it.

Any ideas?
    Dale

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ComboBox, added programatically, won't fill (Word97 (NT))

AFAIK, you don't add a control to a multipage control, but to one of its pages:

Set MyControl = Me.Controls("Fields").Pages(0).Controls.Add(...)

You can omit .Controls both times if you like, since it's the default property. So it would become

Set MyControl = Me("Fields").Pages(0).Add(...)

You can even omit .Pages, since that is the default property of a multipage control:

Set MyControl = Me("Fields")(0).Add(...)

But that doesn't improve the readability and maintainability of your code, in my opinion.

To add items to a combo box, you can use the AddItem method (not AddItems; in your post, you mention AddItem first, then AddItems later on) or the List property:

MyControl.AddItem "Hello"
    MyControl.AddItem "World"

or

MyControl.List() = MyArray

Both should work if you have declared MyControl as Control, but if that doesn't work, you might try to declare it as ComboBox.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ComboBox, added programatically, won't fill (Word97 (NT))

Thanks, Hans

Redeclaring it as a combo box did the trick. Thanks very much for your help

Dale