Rec: Download Accelerator Plus

Title: Download Accelerator Plus
    Version: 4.0.0.2
    Platform: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000
    Download Size: 1.10 MB
    Rating: ZdNet 5*
    Cost: Free/Adware (Not obtrusive).
    Description:
    Speed up your downloads with Download Accelerator Plus (DAP). This jaw-dropping browser plug-in accelerates downloads by using multiple streams and, when possible, multiple sites to download your files. How much of an improvement will you see? DAP's creators suggest up to 300% improvement. We tested it on both a cable connection and a 56k dial-up connection and found downloads zipped through between 200 and 400 percent faster than without DAP. This turbo-charged program is a breeze to use. It places an icon in your taskbar via which you can adjust program options, and it integrates with Internet Explorer and Netscape, monitoring your clicks and automatically popping up to handle downloads. It also supports resumable downloads. Note: This free software contains advertising technology that will occasionally use your Internet connection to receive and display ads
    Download From/Reviews:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000ZGG,.html>http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,,000ZGG,.html</A>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.speedbit.com>http://www.speedbit.com</A>

Comments:
    Works great (most of the time).
    May have wars with other download managers (eg. Netscape Smart Download). If it happens, restart DAP and let it become the "default download manager" again.
    Some sites have html redirects instead of standard download links. If you run into this, right-click the DAP tray icon and click "Disable Clicks Monitoring", then, click the download link again. When you are finished right-click the DAP tray icon again and click "Enable Clicks Monitoring" to go back to DAP's default mode.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rec: Download Accelerator Plus

Hi Ian:

Just read a bunch of reviews on this. Some people raved, but as many gave it a poor score--even said it slowed them down. Also, it sends information back to advertisers. Even though I have DSL, I'm always looking to increase speed. I'm still paranoid enough to avoid spyware. Maybe they'll come out with a commercial version.

ileacy

Phil:
    I don't object to spyware/adware as such. However, I do have AdAware installed and run it monthly.

I do have a personal rule that I try to find an alternative to a program that will not run after AdAware cleanup.

As far as a commercial version of DAP, nothing in the plans.

Speed results.
    As I said in my initial post DAP works great (most of the time). It occasionaly makes a bad choice about mirror sites. The solution to this is to click "Switch Connections" when this happens.

The other possible problem I have seen is that the download will stall on one thread/stream. When this happens, cancel the download and then resume it from the main DAP window.

JIC I have just sent feedback to feedback@speedbit.com to see if there is a way to configure around this problem.

Overall, I use and will continue to use this program. Speed is not the only problem it solves. Other useful features are forced AV checking, auto-resume, download logging, etc.

I can safely recommend it to anyone, especially dial-up users, and not worry about "illegal" use of software.

But like all software, Caveat Emptor and it is your choice.

ileacy

One more thought. A lot of time problems are configuration or mis-understandings, particularly when people don't RTFM when they have a problem.

It reminds me of all the messages about MusicMatch 6 slow ripping speed when it first went to Beta. Turned out that people had set their encoding options to highest quality which is an order of magnitude slower than basic. In fact, given equivalent settings MMJB6 was faster and handled DA on more types of CD's than MMJB5.

Reviews are useful. But, I take them as a starting point. Things to check for myself.

As I said in another thread, my primary criteria for posting a Find is that I use it myself. FWIW.

ileacy

Quick update.
    I just received an email response from speedbit re. the problems mentioned. Time to respond under 1 hour (though their site does state up to 72 hours).

The support tech gave me a link to a beta version of DAP4.3 which is supposed to fix some of the problems. He also noted that ZdNet is having intermittent problems on some of there FTP servers. Multiple streams makes it more likely to run into a bad server.

Will install and test. I will post the beta link later if it passes my testing. Otherwise, I will update the header post on this thread when the new release is generally available.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the information, Ian. By the way, did you run AdAware (which I have also) after installing DAP & did you find anything to remove?

ileacy

Phil:
    I was clean before (per AAW 4.1) and was clean after (per AAW 4.1 and 4.5). I realized as I was running it that I had seen a notification of a new AAW release and had not upgraded.

I have completed testing of DAP4.3 beta and it works fine. Several misc downloads today without problem and one major specific test, Paint Shop Pro v7.01 from zdnet/downloads. This is a 28.7MB file.

With DAP browser integration enabled, I averaged 85.1KBsec and downloaded the entire file in about 6 minutes. With browser integration disabled (ie. no DAP in process), I got about 39KB/sec for about 6 minutes and then the download quit without notice and without chance of recovery.

I am waiting for clearance from SpeedBit to post the beta link on this open board. But, in any event, a new production release should be available shortly.

Flatspin

I'd looked at this several times before but having a cable connection, assumed that it wouldn't help. Good to hear that someone with a fast connection saw positive results. Think I'll give it a go. Thanks.

ileacy

SpeedBit has not authorized an open beta.

DAP Help|Easy Update can be used to get the production version when it is released.

I will post a note as soon as I know it is available.

ileacy

Short update. DAP checks home once a day for Updates. DAP users will be automatically notified when the new release is posted.

ileacy

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-3282264-108-54862.html?bt.35622.10013..dl-54862>DAP version 5.0</A> has been released.