New Lounger
    Thanks

Program error when entering password (97)

I am receiving the following Program Error after I have typed in my password: "msaccess.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I am running Windows 2000 (just installed). The database is Access97. I have tried to open the database by holding down the shift key and double clicking on the file but I receive the password required window. I am at a complete loss. This is an important database. The database was filed on another drive but when I try to bring it up from that drive, I receive the same message.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Program error when entering password (97)

Are you able to create a fresh blank database and link to, or import, any of the objects from your original?

Jeremy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Upon your reply, I created a new database and was able to import all tables and all queries. When I tried to import the forms, I received the same error and the new database was lost.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It seems one of your forms is corrupt.

If you have an older backup copy, you might import all forms from that copy into the database you just created.

You mentioned that you still need to enter the password when you try to open the database with the shift key held down. What happens if you type the password, then keep the Shift key down when you click OK? If you get to the database window now, you can disable the password. This will make experimenting easier.

Otherwise, try importing the forms one by one into a new database. After each, close the database and make a copy. Very tedious. At a certain point, you'll know which form is corrupt.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Holding the shift key after entering the password and clicking oK doesn't work. I did import tables, queries, and macros from the current database and imported forms and reports from an old (and I mean very old) copy. This at least got my current data anyway. The database has been modified (missing a couple of forms and a report) which is minor in my opinion. I wasn't able to import any form or report--I kept getting the error message. Thanks for your help.