New Lounger
    Thanks

Footnote Cross-Reference hypertext hyperclick (2002)

I can't get cross-reference links to work (at least not in print layout, it "sort of" works in normal layout): the tooltip says "Ctrl+Click to follow link" should take me to the relevant footnote, but Ctrl+click takes me to the top of the document--on ALL of my cross-references (the cross-reference numbers themselves are correct).

For example, inside footnote 11, I have a cross-reference to footnote 14 ("see footnote 14"). When I look at what's inside the cross-reference field code, it's this: see footnoote { NOTEREF _Ref8973915 h}
    But the hyperlink does not work (in print layout).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Footnote Cross-Reference hypertext hyperclick (2002)

Is this problem just in a single document or in many documents?
    If it is many documents then is it just in documents you create or in ones you receive from others?

The only thing I can think of is that you may have somehow set the "Hyperlink Base" in your document properties to something invalid. Look at File > Properties and check that Hyperlink Base is blank.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Yes, hyperlink base is blank, and the same error occurs in ALL documents I create and in ALL documents I receive from others, on ALL computers I've tried.

It would be very helpful if you could confirm to me that you were unable to reproduce this problem. Again, it occurs in print layout mode in Word 2002, with a hyperlink *inside* a footnote that points to another footnote number. (By the way, this is using Windows 2000.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't confirm this for you, because I don't run Word 2002. I can tell you that it seems to work the way I would expect in Word 2000.

Here is a document that appears to do the correct thing in Word 2000, how do the xrefs work for you?

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I saved it and opened it up in Word 2002, it worked the same way all the other documents have (the hypertext fails, taking me to the beginning of the document).

If I open the attachment link in the email directly, Word opens up inside IE (apparently because of the way "the Lounge" is set up). Then roughly the same behavior occurs, except that the tooltip reads "Click" rather than "Ctrl+Click."