Lounger
    Thanks

Where to find Hidden Auto Hidden Windows on edges

I installed a nifty tool (in development) that I think has messed up my edges. No response from the authors yet, so I thought I'd ask here. Now Windows 2000 (with Service Pack 1) thinks I have stuff hidden on my edges. I get messages like "There is already an auto hidden window on this edge..." So now, my left, right and top edges are unusable (the bottom is ok for a hidden task bar). Is there some where I can look to see what is taking up space on my edges? There is nothing there to see obviously. Nothing in MS Knowledge base, or the Newsgroups for W2K, etc. that I could find and my posts haven't been answered. I did searches in the Registry for 'HIDE' and 'HIDDEN' and all I found was stuff to do with 'Real Player'. Any help would be appreciated. ...Michael

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where to find Hidden Auto Hidden Windows on edges

Sure sounds like a third party app of some kind. Can you uninstall it?

Barring that, look for odd tasks in the Task Manager, or services that you don't recognize. Try stopping them.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes it is, but it comes from Stardock's Object Desktop which I've been using for years, from when I was an OS/2 bigot :-) I uninstalled and search for stuff laying around in the registry, and couldn't find anything. They haven't got back to me yet, and others who are testing 'ObjectBar' (not released yet) don't seem to have the same problem. I found a reference in an MS Developer's database that showed the actual code that does the test for a window already hidden on an edge and produces the message that I'm getting. But I'm not familiar enough with Windows internals to see what bit the guy is testing to determine that someone is hogging the edge. I'll bet it's buried in the Registry somewhere. Nothing 'really' unusual in the Tasks running, but there's a lot there I'm not familiar with anyway. 43 processes running and even one called WOWEXEC.EXE - not related to Woody? :-) Going to keep watching it - I get updates from Stardock about 2-3 times a week on all the other stuff of theirs I'm running - may be theirs - but I have a lot of other stuff on this machine here, too. I'm sort of used to having things fall down. But it's also fun finding and fixing the little critters ('bugs' some people call em ;-) ). Thx for the pointer, I'll take a closer look at the processes that are running. ...Michael

Lounger
    Thanks

Amazing! A new beta level of ObjectBar showed up about 20 minutes after my last post. My edges are now all back. It's amazing how one get used to having the MS Office bars hidden away on an edge. All my neat stuff was there, but hidden. I still would like to know if there is a registry entry that tell what programs are taking up the edges. With so many TWEAK apps running around these days, you'd figure one of them would have a feature like this. Oh, well, my problem is gone, but not my inquisitiveness :-) Thanks for your help. ...Michael

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just as an FYI, the WOWEXEC is the Windows on Windows subsystem in NT/2000. It allows these OSs to run legacy apps for 16 bit versions of Windows.

You'll also see SMSS.EXE, WINLOGON.EXE, SERVICES.EXE, SPOOLSV.EXE and several others....oh, yeah, and EXPLORER.EXE. All of your services show up in the process list and usually can't be killed from there.

The hiding place in the registry could be in the application's subkey, or it could be about ten subkeys. It's all very application dependent.

I agree with you that tracking down the nuisance problems can be a good and interesting challenge. Especially when you cause them yourself...but I never do that myself...[img]/w3timages/icons/nope.gif[/img]
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for the great information. I'll start making a list. I think the 'hiding place' for those apps, probably has some kind of 'structured' process. Windows thinks (thought) that there was something there. How did he know? So, it seems to me, that the application had to something to tell him he was there, and also do something to clean up (which is what I think my app didn't do, and thus caused my problem). So "what didn't he clean up"? That's the question. Anyway, lots of interesting questions in W2K. Too bad we don't get paid for finding the answers - but it's fun anyway. Thanks again for your help, Mark. ... Michael

Lounger
    Thanks

Got an apology from the Stardock owner (Brad Wardell) for missing my post. A class organization. I'm consistently impressed by their products and professionalism. Of course Object Desktop allows me to make Windows look like I want it to look - not anyone else. Neat. Thanks again for your help, Mark. ...Michael