Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New document

KTYorke

New document

I just got W97 Annoyances (a great book by Woody and the gang) and I came across something that made me wonder...

I want to change what the FileNew button on the toolbar opens. I want Mytemplate.dot to open when I click the button. Seems easy enough... by changing the button to FileNew... (as the tip in the book suggests) but I don't want the New dialogue box to show up so I can choose the template, I want it to just open. I can do this by creating my own special macro, but is there another way?

Also, I think this is a bad idea, but I just want it confirmed... When thinking over this question myself I thought of just renaming mytemplate.dot to normal.dot and so it would open the way I want all the time. HOWEVER, will this screw up all other templates based on the original normal.dot?

The more I think about it, I'm going to do the macro myself but I'd still like to hear what you kids have to say about this whole thing. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

thanks always
    have fun

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New document

Changing the name of your template to normal.dot should have no effect whatever on any documents you have created aleady based on the origianal normal.dot. Once a document is created and saved the template used to create it is redundant as a seperate entity. At least that is my understanding. If you want all your documents to be based on your new template why not rename it ?. You could always make a backup of normal.dot just in case you want to revert.

Andrew

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi KT:

First, changing normal.dot will not affect templates based on normal.dot. There is no connection between templates once they are created, the way a "based on" style has a connection to its parent. Making a new template (e.g. template 1) from an existing template merely copies the template so you have a starting point.

I never actually thought of creating a template that was never based on normal.dot & then renaming it to normal.dot. I'd be curious if you had any downsides from it. Maybe you'll find some upsides.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The only problem I see is the 'Styles' that that are based on the normal style will be affected, if the normal style in your new template is different.
    Just a thought.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Andrew,

This part:
    >>Once a document is created and saved the template used to create it is redundant as a seperate entity<<

is not quite true: a given document will continue to "read from" its parent template any toolbar customizations, autotexts and macros that are in the parent template.

This could point to repercussions in substituting Normal.dot, at least for some (many?) users. By default, when you make a toolbar customization, record a macro or save an Autotext, Word will store these in Normal.dot -unless you tell it otherwise. It's safe to assume that for most users, these things get stored in Normal.dot. (I don't recommend that people rely on customizations stored in Normal.dot, but the fact is that most people do it.)

Substituting a different template for Normal.dot would take these customizations away - not that there's anything wrong with that per se, just helpful to know this will happen as a result.

Gary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I dont think that "normal style" is in any way dependant on "normal.dot". Every template has it's own normal style. You can change the normal style (or any other style)of any document without interfering with the style as set in the template. The only way to change the default style is to change it in the actual template.

A template just sets the starting off format of any document based on it, or a recipe. If you bake a cake based on a recipe and deviate from the recipe it cannot effect any previous cakes you baked. Changing a template has no effect on documents created before the change.

The above is my understanding of templates.

Andrew

BAM

The main repercussion of taking a template based on Normal.dot and replacing Normal.dot with it is that you lose the default AutoText entries.

Granted, if the original Normal.dot was renamed then the AutoText entries can be copied to the new Normal via the Organizer.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

BAM

The only way this would make a difference is if in Tools/Templates and Add-Ins, "Automatically update documents styles" is turned on.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

I did not see your post before making my last contribution.
    Thanks for the enlightenment - but what happens if the template a document is based on is no longer available. ?

The actual formatting and styles of the document are set once you save the document and do not revert back to whatever the initial template styles were - is that correct ?.

I tend to divorce environmental aspects (toolbars etc) from the actual sytle and formatting etc.

If I sent you a document based on my normal.dot, would it adopt the styles of your normal.dot if different from mine ?

Andrew

KTYorke

OK, maybe I can clear a few things up.

I created MYTemplate.dot by File> New> Template.

MYTemplate.dot is now the "standard" for all documentation created in my department. (Yea, I'm [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) That's why I may as well open right up to MYTemplate.dot rather than going in and changing it every time.

The more and more I think about it, I don't like the idea of changing Normal.dot. One of the many reasons include, when I send a document out created with MYTemplate.dot-disguised-as-Normal if someone decides to edit and save it I fear something will happen to their real normal.dot. or my document. I haven't the time to test the theory, but I also don't want to chance it in the long run.

*shrug* I did make a macro that acted like the FileNew button and put it on my tooblar:

<pre>Sub FileNewMYTemplate()
    '
    ' FileNewMYTemplate Macro
    ' Macro recorded 02/16/01 by KTYorke
    '
    Documents.Add Template:= _
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplatesMYTemplate.dot", _
    NewTemplate:=False
    End Sub
    </pre>

What I would NOW like to know is how, if I don't change the name of normal.dot or mytemplate.dot, do I get Word to open automatically with MYTemplate.dot instead of normal.dot?

BTW - I'm on W97SR2 WinNT

thanks
    have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

KT,

>if I don't change the name of normal.dot or mytemplate.dot, do I get Word to open automatically with MYTemplate.dot instead of normal.dot?

Call your routine "FileNew", save it in a template, and put that template in the startup path.

Every "FileNew" from then will execute your routine.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

KTYorke

>>put that template in the startup path.

do you mean C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeSTARTUP?

I got that from Tools> Options> File Locations
    have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes.

Assuming that's Tools> Options> File Locations and the location after "Startup".

Sorry not to make myself clear.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi KT:
    You could do this a couple of ways. (By the way, based on your description, I see no danger in renaming normal.dot and then changing the name or MyTemplate.dot to normal.dot. You can always backtrack if necessary.)

First, if you have a shortcut on your desktop to MyTemplate.dot. The shortcut could also be anywhere in the start menu & you could assign a global shortcut key to it.

Secondly, you could start Word with a shortcut whose where you add a /t switch at the end of the command line. It would read:

C:your pathwinword.exe /tMyTemplate.dot.

Third, you could record a macro that would open a document based on MyTemplate.dot (one of the VBA gurus could probably code it better) & name the macro AutoExec. Then Word would always start with a document based on MyTemplate.dot, unless you held the Shift key while starting it.

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew:

A template contains more than styles. An attached template holds styles, Autotext, macros, & toolbars. Once a document is created, the template is not divorced from the document--it's still attached.

The behavior that you see in styles is affected by Word's hierarchy. Styles available to a document are contained in the document itself, the attached template, & normal.dot. When a document is created from normal.dot, it contains default paragraph font, normal (an overused word) style, & Headings 1 thru 3.

Once a style exists in a document, the style is independent of the template (even having automatically update doesn't change that--it just copies the template style to the document). The only conflict that can exist is when the document, the attached template, & normal.dot (assuming it's not the attached template) all have a style with the same name. Which does Word use? To answer that, Word uses the following hierarchy:
    1. The document style takes precedence over any template.
    2. the attached template takes precedence over normal.dot.
    3. Normal.dot is last.

So to answer your questions directly:
    Once the style exists in the document, it's independent of the template. If you sent me a document based on normal.dot (or any other template), it will retain the formatting for any style you put in the document & should look the same(assuming I have the installed font, proper video driver, etc.). However, if your Heading 6 style is different than mine & you didn't use Heading 6 in your document, the document will use my heading 6 on my machine.

Hope this clarifies it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast