Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2k vs. Word XP (cross post) (2K, XP)

As we speak, I am debugging some Word 97 macros for a Client to get the critters to work in Word 2000.

A number of things do not work in Word 2000, but do work in Word 2002.

I now have the macros working in all 3 versions.

Of course, Word 2002 also broke things that worked in Word 2000.

No matter what choice you make, it is likely that some macros from Word 97 will need to be tweaked to work in Word 2000 and/or Word 2002, especially those still relying on the WordBasic object.

I'd suggest using Word 2002 because it has the latest VBA features and MSFT might still issue fixes. I would not expect too many, if any, fixes to Word 2000, other than "security" issues.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2k vs. Word XP (cross post) (2K, XP)

I have a client, with several offices using about 400 computers, who is contemplating an upgrade from Office 97. Although they use the who suite, they are power users of Word, with many very sophisticated templates, the majority of them using quite a bit of VBA code. I know some of the really tough problems we had to work around in Word 97 were fixed in Word 2000, so that upgrade is easy to recommend. However, I'm not so sure about what I should tell them about Word and/or Office XP. I adopted another baby last year, and I've really been out of the loop. I have Word XP and use it for personal stuff, but I haven't done any development work in it yet. And I haven't read a computer magazine or issue of WOW since long before I made the trip to China to bring Kelsey home (having been so busy with her big sister). Anyway, if you have any recommendations, sources of good reviews, etc., I could pass along, I'd love the input. Many thanks!

LATER: Cross post from Word forum deleted. I posted it there before I realized that this would be a better place for it.

--Karyl

Thanks

Re: Word 2k vs. Word XP (cross post) (2K, XP)

I think it would pay to scan through WOW to spot things that are particularly wonky in Word 2002, such as Tracked Changes. If those are not deal-killers, it might make the most sense to bite the bullet and go there. Although I am very happy with Office 2000, I know that as more of my colleagues get XP, by the time your client has implemented, MS will be beta-testing Office 11. Not sure it makes sense to stay so far behind if the kinks have been worked out of XP.

Also, make sure your client is aware that the Upgrade Advantage licensing program ends 7/31/2002, so they don't have a lot of time to choose if they want to upgrade price. (See recent thread on General Office board on this.)