Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Question on Compact on Close? (A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1)

Question on Compact on Close?

A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1

My situation. I have fe db on clients computer and be db on server.

If I have Compact on Close option selected on both fe db and be db, and I exit access with another client user still in the system:

1. Will my fe db be compacted?
    2. Will the fe db and be db be compacted when the last client user logs out?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Question on Compact on Close? (A2k (9.0.3821) SR-1)

The answer to question 1 is yes - we don't normally do that on a front-end unless the user is building temporary tables or something equivalent to that.
    The answer to question 2 should be yes - when all users exit the back-end, then the last user to exit will compact the back-end. However I have not actually tested it, as we are now using SQL back-ends on nearly every application. Perhaps someone else can share their experiences.
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell

When a Compact and Repair on Close is performed, can I be guaranteed that if no error messages occur that my new database with the same name will be 100% squeaky clean and reliable?

Should a backup be done first?

If there is a problem with the Compact on Close, what options are given to the end user?

Would like to here from other forum members that are using this concept

Thanks, John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding - I think you can assume that your new database is as reliable and clean as any other compacted database. The compact and repair process is the same as the one from the menu, and it does create a new database, compact into it, and then delete the old one and rename the new one. I have never seen the Compact on Close fail, but it should give the same error messages, and leave the old one unchanged, with a new dbx.mdb as well. The bottom line is that it does take a fair bit of time, and users are frustrated by that, which is why we only do it in cases where bloat is a serious problem because of constant adding and deleting of temporary data. As to doing backups, unless your database contains permanent data, I wouldn't see any reason to do a backup before you close.
    Wendell