New Lounger
    Thanks

Clean install of XP on new machine? (1.0)

I should shortly be receiving a new machine (Dell Dimension 4500). The first thing I usually do with a new machine is repartition the hard drive and reinstall the OS, mostly because I like to have applications and data on different partitions (makes it easier to do backups). Is there a web site someplace that can walk me through this procedure? Or does anyone here have any advice? I'm still using Win 95 at the moment, so I presume that installing XP is quite a bit different from what I've been used to. Thanks.

Mark

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clean install of XP on new machine? (1.0)

well... yes... but not that much, and if you are reformatting it's no big deal. It's pretty much automatic.

Do you have a retail copy of xp or will you be using the dell copy? if dell is like most OEMs, you'll have a restore disk and may not be able to control the disk size. The restore disks expect a certain disk size...

also - you don't have to reformat, you can use a utility like partition magic to repartition without losing data. then simply repoint the documents folder to the data drive.

the biggest difference you'll notice (besides the interface) is the NT factor - getting used to doing things the NT way, with user logons and permissions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clean install of XP on new machine? (1.0)

I'd sure like to "second" MJ's comment about Partition Magic! One doesn't need it very often (usually) but when you do, it's well worth the investment. Should save you HOURS of work.....