Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer lock-up

Hya guys and gals : anyone out there with an answer to a long on-going annoyance ?

Running Win98SE in a NT domain, with a network drive connected via login script at startup.

If I open programmes (e.g. Lotus Notes but basically any other programme) then try to open "My Computer" the beast just freezes - I get partial display in My Computer but then ..... zilch and I have to close as much as I can down, then reboot (often have to physically hit and hold the power switch)

If I first disconnect the network drive, I can open "my computer" any time I like without a problem. Similarly, so long as I've not opened any other programme first, I can use My Computer without the freeze

Using Windows Explorer from the Start menu (or from an icon) doesn't cause the problem

My "workarounds" are getting me down 'cause I sometimes (often) forget to disconnect the drive before hitting the My Comp icon (or forget to use Explorer instead)

All contributions gratefully received !

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer lock-up

Sorry not to see it before. Clean up the hard drive.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer lock-up

Thanks for the response.
    I finally resolved the problem by finding/discovering a network printer which no longer exists. Deleting this seems to have freed everything up.
    I've also (later) carried out your clean-up recommendations (multitudinous cxxp lurked on my pc) !!