kstaker

Quattro to Excel Conversion (Quattro 7 / Excel 2000)

PLEASE HELP!!

I am pulling my hair out. I have a very very large Quattro document that I need converted to Excel. I was not the person who created it and when this person created it they decided that within a cell in order to keep the text and phrases from running together they would use a hard carriage return to separate the text. Well when this converts over to Excel a little box symbol is placed in the column everywhere the hard return was. Then everywhere a box is when the document is printed all the information is thrown onto the next line of the A column and runs over the text that is already there.

I am going crazy. I have been to microsoft and corel's knowledge base and both websites newsgroups. if anyone has any idea please let me know.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quattro to Excel Conversion (Quattro 7 / Excel 2000)

First, did the cells convert with content integrity, that is, are any Quattro cells being split into multple Excel cells, or extra rows or columns inserted, or other peculiar conversion results?

Second, the 'little box' is how Excel displays a hard return within a cell, so that may not be bad.

If the answer to the first question is 'no', you might try Format, Cells, Alignment, Wrap Text, and possibly some other options, to see if the run-over stops.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

kstaker

Thanks for your quick response.

The cells did convert with content integrity, my data was not harmed at all, no extra cells rows or columns were created and the document looks great to the eye. But when you print it, its like the printer doesn't know what to do with the hard returns and it prints out with the text running over each other, I have attached a little snipit of the document.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting, some of the Quttro line breaks imported as Dec 13, which I think is a line break, while some are Dec 10, carriage return, which Excel uses as it's in-cell line break. This little macro will correct the problem. Select any cell in the problem column, and run it.

Sub code13to10()
    Selection.EntireColumn.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeCons tants, 2).Replace _
    What:=Chr(13), Replacement:=Chr(10)
    End Sub

If you aren't comfortable with macros, we can do it for you.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

kstaker

YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!

Thank you so much it worked like a charm. It would of taken me forever to come up with that code.