Thread: Why can

New Lounger
    Thanks

Why can

Every time I run OE it asks if I want it to be my default email handler. If I say yes nothing happens. I can go to Tools, Options and click the Make default button but the next time I run OE exactly the same happens!

I am running OE6 under ME. Outlook is installed and I can not uninstall this because if I do a mailing feature I

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Why can

You also have to set in IE6...Go to Tools, Internet Options, Programs, in the email box enter Outlook Express.

Hopefully I have understood the question & this will help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent idea. Unfortunately Outlook Express is not listed in the E-mail combo box - (????) - The plot thickens.

Shoudn't I be doing something else on a Friday evening?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=red>Edited by DaveA to add url code</font color=red>

Try this link, it may be able to help you.

http://msft.kanisasolution.com/search/nlsearch.aspx

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You could try checking if Outlook is taking back the default mail handler position - if your Access mailing feature is using Outlook, it's probably opening it when you open the database (even if you don't see it) and it would not surprise me at all to find M$ has put an option in there to make itself default mail handler if it's not ...

To clarify, if this is what's happening, every time you open your database, Outlook would be making itself the default; then when you open OE it will politely ask if you want it to be default, you say yes ... then you open Access again and Outlook takes the default back again so next OE asks again ... you see the pattern?!

I'm not saying this is it (I don't know enough about Outlook) but it fits the symptoms ...
    Beryl M

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is your version of Outlook also 97? Im assuming you dont have both Outlook and Outlook Express open at the same time, if you do there are conflicts between the latest version of Outlook Express and Outlook 97. In the default box that asks if you want Outlook Express to be your default email, is there an option to tick yes then "not see this reminder screen again"?
    CyberDance