New Lounger
    Thanks

protected document (97 SR-2)

I have a document that needs to have certain sections locked so they cannot be changed. It also has some drop-down menus and those only work if you protect that section using protect forms and select the sections that need it. As soon as you protect a document, Word disables a whole bunch of items, like page setup, mail merge, envelopes and labels, bullets and numbering etc. Microsoft even says it out right on their support page. The head scratcher for me is to figure out how to get the bullets to work anyway. Somehow the numbers work if the style is preset properly before you protect the document. This works the same way in Office 2000 as far as I was able to check. I would love to have some more of the disabled items working too but I don't want to ask for too much at once. Any ideas? Macro maybe?

Appreciate it,

Magda

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: protected document (97 SR-2)

Magda,

It really depends on the specifics of what you need to do.
    As far as getting access to bullets and numbering, the best practice would be to set up styles to produce the bullets and numbering that you need - these will always be available, even if some sections of the document are protected, you should still retain the ability to apply these styles in other parts of the document.

The features that Word disables when you protect part of the document are for the most part facts of life that can't be gotten around. In my limited experience of trying to do this with a macro, basically you can't - if the functions are not enabled in the user interface, then they will not work from code either - in fact will cause an error.

One workaround that code can make available in this case is to temporarily unprotect the selected sections in order to perform certain functions (such as a spellcheck), and then reprotect them.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: protected document (97 SR-2)

I guess I have arrived as far as I can get then. There is no way to switch to bullets after the document is protected, it has to be whatever the numbering style has been set at. Actually kinda makes sense, I just can't make everyone happy ... Thanks, Gary!