Lounger
    Thanks

Relative Links (Word 2000 SR-1)

Word creates relative hyperlinks by default, or so we are told. However, when creating Adobe pdf files using the PDFMaker Word macro, I find that the links created in the pdf document have the Word active document path as their hyperlink base and not the relative link I wanted. Am I missing something or is this an unpleasant oversight on the part of the Adobe/Microsoft team that made the macro?

Thanks

Re: Relative Links (Word 2000 SR-1)

Before running the macro, if you show the field codes (Alt+F9), are they relative links?

If the document and linked items are always kept in the same folder, it is supposed to work. Or am I confusing hyperlinks with INCLUDEPICTURE fields, which have engendered many discussions about relative and absolute links? Anyway, Word's hyperlinks/INCLUDEPICTURE fields seem to have a lot of "issues" when it comes to the paths.

Lounger
    Thanks

To answer your question, they are relative links, but the "tooltip" shows the absolute link based on the current active doc path.

It seems that the following are true:
    * Word hyperlinks are indeed (as documented) relative to the current active directory, which
    can be moved, but that current directory is the hyperlink base in a pdf made
    using PDF Maker.
    * Acrobat 5 will let you make relative links in a document ONLY if you first OPEN the pdf document
    from the directory to which you want the links to be relative. It is not good enough to simply save it there.

If anybody can confirm or deny these, I would greatly appreciate it.

It does seem that hyperlinks are much less "open" and have more hidden "features" than other fields such as INCLUDPICTURE.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This is a big issue with many people. A knowledge base article on Adobe's web page listed as solution #4 to find a third party software that would fix it. I did, it's called "ARTS Link Tool", and it cost more than Acrobat itself. However in my case I was dealing with thousands of links so the money was warranted. This may or may not work for you. http://www.aroundtablesolution.com/

Lounger
    Thanks

Can you give me the article number of the Adobe article? Thanks. I downloaded the trial version of the software and it works like a charm to remove the folder information and just leave the file name. That made the link in the pdf portable. I just can't believe that Adobe did it the way they did!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know where I've put it now I might have tossed it. I remember I actually got to it by following a response to a string in Adobe's forum. I contacted Adobe but they tried to blame it on Microsoft. In my case I produce a several reports in Access containing hunreds of links on each one. When I publish the report to Word the links are fine and still relative. When I go to the PDFwriter it forces me to save the document before continuing and thats where it picks up the file path. The other related issue I had was that the position of the links was altered and I found a similar Adobe article #323141 see solution 1. ARTS (a certified Adobe plug-in) fixed that too, it makes you wonder if Adobe gets kick backs on these products.